Blood sugars during labour

potlots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone I’m 35 weeks pregnant and am thinking about control during labour and how I can maximise my chances of keeping good control and avoid post birth hypos for baby.

I am on an insulin pump and use a CGM which alarms through my pump if things are not right but looking to hear experiences from women who have been through it and see what advice they can offer.

I am hoping for water birth (very lucky hospital can facilitate this!) and will be induced 37-38 weeks, my choice.

Any advice/help/sharing of experience will be gratefully received.

Reactions: Guzzler

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i opted for a insulin drip during labour which my diabetes consultant figured out a sliding scale for the midwives and that worked perfectly. otherwise with a pump your partner has to be sure they are confident to do blood tests and be able to change pump if needed which wasnt too sure if i wanted to deal with....

As soon as you have your baby you go back to your pump settings pre-pregnancy, i didnt have any hypos post birth. only pre birth was having a struggle

im surprised you're able to have a water birth...in the hospital that i was in was a absolute no no with being classed as high risk

all the very best for you and your little one :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Can't help, I'm afraid, but just wanted to wish you a speedy and trouble free delivery. Best wishes.

Reactions: potlots

potlots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i opted for a insulin drip during labour which my diabetes consultant figured out a sliding scale for the midwives and that worked perfectly. otherwise with a pump your partner has to be sure they are confident to do blood tests and be able to change pump if needed which wasnt too sure if i wanted to deal with....

As soon as you have your baby you go back to your pump settings pre-pregnancy, i didnt have any hypos post birth. only pre birth was having a struggle

im surprised you're able to have a water birth...in the hospital that i was in was a absolute no no with being classed as high risk

all the very best for you and your little one :)

Thanks

I’m too anxious in allowing someone else take control of my diabetes control, I don’t trust them and I know that is awful. Hubby has been given regular tuition and will be given a list of steps to take just in case he loses his way. My Mum (who is a nurse of 35 years) will also be around so between them I hope they’ll have it covered. What was your experience of the sliding scale? Did you have any high or low blood sugars while you were on it?

I am incredibly lucky, my hospital have one room on the doctor’s lead labour ward with a pool and they offer mobile, waterproof monitoring so they will be able to monitor in the same way as if I’m not in the pool. Let’s just hope it’s available