blood test advice please

kimbeth

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I ha routine bloos taken last week an receive a letter to say I ha to book with one of the nurses. When I rang it is to see the diabetic nurse!! She is on annual leave for 2 weeks so this has left me high and dry not knowing what to eat/o etc. They have told me my HBA1C level is 45 an should be between 20 and 42??

brdavies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't panic, as that's only slightly on the high side. When I was diagnosed mine was 90.0 in those units, and probably had been for 3 or 4 years. A test 8 weeks later showed it at 58.5, so it's coming down, but it takes several months (at least 3) for HbA1c to stabilise once you get your blood glucose under control.

Once you do get a chance to chat to her, be advised that the main advice that many on this forum will give you may be different from the dietary guidelines you might get. Many of us have great success on a Low Carb, High Fat (LCHF) diet. If you want to start now on healthy eating, reduce the amount of refined carbohydrates and starchy vegetables you eat. All meats are OK, any vegetable that grows above ground, and fruits in moderation (but not juices, eat the actual fruit). Berries are the best in general. Eat as if processed foods didn't exist and you had to go forage or hunt for food - and didn't have a shovel!

But definitely don't worry about it during the 2 weeks while you wait, just use that time to read this forum, and also you should look through these two websites: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes, and http://www.dietdoctor.com.

Reactions: 3 people

kimbeth

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Don't panic, as that's only slightly on the high side. When I was diagnosed mine was 90.0 in those units, and probably had been for 3 or 4 years. A test 8 weeks later showed it at 58.5, so it's coming down, but it takes several months (at least 3) for HbA1c to stabilise once you get your blood glucose under control.

Once you do get a chance to chat to her, be advised that the main advice that many on this forum will give you may be different from the dietary guidelines you might get. Many of us have great success on a Low Carb, High Fat (LCHF) diet. If you want to start now on healthy eating, reduce the amount of refined carbohydrates and starchy vegetables you eat. All meats are OK, any vegetable that grows above ground, and fruits in moderation (but not juices, eat the actual fruit). Berries are the best in general. Eat as if processed foods didn't exist and you had to go forage or hunt for food - and didn't have a shovel!

But definitely don't worry about it during the 2 weeks while you wait, just use that time to read this forum, and also you should look through these two websites: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes, and http://www.dietdoctor.com.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that HBa1C is quite good. Follow the diet advice brdavies has posted and you should be fine

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
If you have a result like that just cutting back on carbohydrates a bit should see you OK. My first one was 67.

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seriously wouldn't worry. My hba1c was 129 when I was diagnosed. You'll be ok. I certainly am :)

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 4 weeks on insulin I was 9% or 75mmol/mol...

Started my honeymoon now, and my BG is all over the place, but tonight I managed to crack 5mmol 2 hours after a meal, which I was really pleased about.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
After 4 weeks on insulin I was 9% or 75mmol/mol...

Started my honeymoon now, and my BG is all over the place, but tonight I managed to crack 5mmol 2 hours after a meal, which I was really pleased about.
That's great. If you keep that up your hba1c should be much lower.

Reactions: 2 people