Blood test sites?

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Apart from fingers where else is it practical to draw blood? Tried my upper forearm but
all I managed to do was leave bruises.
Testing 6 to 8 times a days and my fingers are getting a little tender. Only diagnosed
about 4 weeks so I'm probably being a bit of a wimp!
It might sound like a stupid question but will results from blood drawn from fingers
be the same as results from somewhere else.

Thanks, John

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
John,

You would need to speak with your DSN about Alternative Site Testing (AST) when not using the fingers, they'll advise you further on how best to approach this.

Pneu

When testing on your fingers remember to rotate... also remember that each finger has two sides... you can also use your thumb... that's 20 prick sites so at 8 times a day nearly 3 days rest for each side of your finger..

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. For some reason i had it in my head that the DN had said to just use the middle finger and index finger. My wife, who's a nurse, told I probably misheard and looks like she was right! My four stabbed fingers will be grateful ....

Defren

The pricks are so tiny and like Pneu said you have 10 fingers. I check my finger for a space, if there is no space on one finger go the next. I test 6-8 times a day and haven't run out of fingers yet. You can do the same finger 3, 4,5 times if you just check where there is a little space.