Type 2 Blood tester.

PeterGC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all it shows I've been cheeky and asked for a testing kit today I have been surprised a company who are sending me a upto date meter so keep on to the companies and you never know

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all it shows I've been cheeky and asked for a testing kit today I have been surprised a company who are sending me a upto date meter so keep on to the companies and you never know

Yes that's all well and good but how much do the test strips cost? The meter is usually a few quid but the strips are what adds up if you test often. The SD Codefree strips are currently (using the discount code £5.10 per pot of 50) Some others cost up to 5 times that amount I have read ...so beware.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got both my Accuchek Mobile and my Contour Next USB free from the manufacturers.

The meters themselves are pretty irrelevant cost wise, even if you have to buy one. It will always be the ongoing cost of the strips that you need to focus on.

I would never ask or expect the NHS to fund my strips as a T2D patient. It may be helpful to my long term health and control to be able to test my BG, but it can hardly be classed as "essential" in the same way it is for a T1 or T2 using Insulin or similar drug. The NHS has limited funds and has far more important things to spend those funds on.

PeterGC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I understand the strips can be pricey but I have looked at buying online which looks the cheapest way to go

JamesMJG2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Canada the manufacturers give away the meter for free when you buy 100 strips. However my strips are also free... Medicare pays for them...