Blood tests - confused

stu20vt

Hello,

I'm new to these forums due to my doctor being suspicious that I may have diabetes.

Initially I went to my GP with a fungal infection under my arm. I was given medication that cleared this up but he asked for me to go for some 'bloods'.

Earlier this week I had my blood taken and yesterday received a call from the GP receptionist explaining they had received the results and asked me if I could come back in next week and get a 'fasting' blood test. I was not asked to fast in the initial blood test and I have no idea what blood test it was.

I did ask if she could let me know what the results were but the receptionist said it would have to be the nurse that would go through them and the receptionist didn't understand the results.

Obviously this has now made me worried...should I have fasted originally, or have they possibly seen something that indicates diabetes.

Thanks, this forum has been really useful for me and my symptom (of which I have had occasional light headiness, dizziness at times, and the fungal infection. I don't wake up needing to pee through the night and I don't think I feel thirsty so its all a bit strange).

Thanks
Stu

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Pretty useless starting to panic ... those tests are common. In any event, just ring them up and ask them why.

Whatever the outcome, you must ask questions beforehand ... if he had suspicions, that was the time to quiz him. It still is

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

We are as blind about this as you are I'm afraid, and it looks like you are going to have to be patient, unless you contact your doctor and ask him.

When you go in next week for the fasting blood tests, ask the person taking your blood what the tests are. There could be several different ones, but they will be recorded on the documents the person has, and she will be able to tell you. Make sure you write these down so you will remember.

You could also ask reception if your surgery puts test results on-line, and if so, ask how to register for access to these. If you are in England, the majority of surgeries do this.

I hope all goes well for you.

Reactions: azure

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Welcome to the forum
Hello,

I'm new to these forums due to my doctor being suspicious that I may have diabetes.

Initially I went to my GP with a fungal infection under my arm. I was given medication that cleared this up but he asked for me to go for some 'bloods'.

Earlier this week I had my blood taken and yesterday received a call from the GP receptionist explaining they had received the results and asked me if I could come back in next week and get a 'fasting' blood test. I was not asked to fast in the initial blood test and I have no idea what blood test it was.

I did ask if she could let me know what the results were but the receptionist said it would have to be the nurse that would go through them and the receptionist didn't understand the results.

Obviously this has now made me worried...should I have fasted originally, or have they possibly seen something that indicates diabetes.

Thanks, this forum has been really useful for me and my symptom (of which I have had occasional light headiness, dizziness at times, and the fungal infection. I don't wake up needing to pee through the night and I don't think I feel thirsty so its all a bit strange).

Thanks
Stu
Welcome to the forum @stu20vt. Don't worry just yet as it is early days. We are here to assist.

stu20vt

Thanks guys. I know I was a bit vague with my description, I guess I'm new to this and more curious than worried. If it turns out I'm diabetic then I need to deal with it like everyone else :)
My dad is diabetic T2 and so I guess if it runs in the family then its probably only a matter of time. Having an office job sitting all day doesn't help but then I'm not overweight.
I'll follow your advice and try and find out more information.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
You possibly had a blood sugar result a bit higher than usual but this can happen for lots of reasons and the best thing to do is fast for the next one then result will make things clearer