Blood tests

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me if hbA1cs are back routinely now? I was diagnosed type 2 when covid started in 2020. The only blood tests I've had have been when first diagnosed and when I asked. No one has contacted me in 9 months now. I've had letters for eye checks but not to see diabetes nurse. What is the 'normal' expectation. Perhaps I'm worrying too much...thanks

BravoKilo

Presume you are asking about the Uk?
If so, a lot seems to depend upon where you live & how you GP surgery is coping
But there shouldn’t be a problem getting blood rests now - I would phone up the surgery if you are overdue a blood test.

My experience: in 2021 a 6 month test didn’t happen & I had to push to get my 12 month bloods taken (ended up a couple of months late)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had mine every 6 months as per NICE guidelines even though I'm classed as "In remission".

Reminded the surgery of that fact and am a member of the PPG so I think that helps.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As said above it depends on how your surgery is coping. I live in Devon and was diagnosed in August 2021 and was retested in October 2021 and have another test this week, all arranged by the surgery and an appointment with the diabetic nurse after each set of test results.
My mum, in her 80’s lives in Wales and has not been seen or tested since October 2019. I have arranged for her to see the chiropodist privately as she suffers with neuropathy etc but the surgery are really struggling to cope with ‘routine’ services.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank-you for your replies. Yes I'm in UK , Devon too but it looks like I need to chase them at my surgery. I hate nagging but needs must . My sugar control since Christmas could have been better and I'm feeling cross with myself as I'd been doing so well but Christmas made me super tempted by what all those around me were enjoying. I didn't even think I was being too bad just a little bite of this n that.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel quite lucky that my surgery is on the ball. I'm in Hampshire, was diagnosed in May, 10 days from that call I was given an appt with the DN. I also received an appt for a retinopathy scan. The 2nd test, I was called in three months later. I did have to remind my doc that she requested me to have a six monthly test & that was done this morning. The only thing I haven't had is a proper foot check. I am disabled by spinal injury & surgeries so have nerve damage in my legs from that. My feet have joined the party, my Dr seems to think I haven't been diabetic for very long so it's more from my back. I'll wait for these results to arrive, then ask re podiatrist referral.

@Honeyblossom, don't be angry with yourself, the nurse told me that this morning. :oops: Give yourself a pat on the back instead for doing something about it.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Honeyblossom - love your user name by the way.

Do you have a meter and test regularly? I really recommend that. I haven't had a HbA1C for a while- have an appointment with a GP to get one, however, I do test regularly. I find it keeps my motivation up.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Honeyblossom - love your user name by the way.

Do you have a meter and test regularly? I really recommend that. I haven't had a HbA1C for a while- have an appointment with a GP to get one, however, I do test regularly. I find it keeps my motivation up.

Hello and Thank-you! Yes I have a meter which is why I know things have been creeping upwards I've managed it so far without meds and hoping I will pull it back again. Its great having this forum its the only place I feel fully understood

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the most amazing, knowledgable and compassionate people I have ever 'met' I have 'met' here.

Reactions: Honeyblossom