Bloods have been normal for two days without insulin

malcymjc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am a bit confused. In May 2015 I was diagnosed as Type 2 and told to be more active and watch what I ate, over a period of six months I seriously cut out carbs and my bloods dramatically improved. Then last autumn they started climbing again and despite eating virtually no carbs they were generally between 15 and 20 two hours after eating and typically 12 to 15 on waking in the morning. My diabetes nurse didnt understand what was going on and only once the weight started to fall off me, I went from 12.5 st to 11.5 st in a month or so she finally referred me to the hospital diabetes team. They did a GAD?? test and said that it was very positive and therefore I was in fact Type 1. That was in June this year and since then I have been taking 12 units of Lantus in the morning and 1 unit of Novorapid per 20g of carbs. My weight has gone back to 12.5 st and I feel a whole lot better. However I havent had any insulin now for two and a half days and my BG has stayed steady between 5 and 6. I have been quite active for the last two days doing manual work whereas I normall sit in front of my computer all day. I decided to try an experiment without insulin as I found I was having to eat more and more carbs to stop going below 4.5 particularly if I did anything manual like gardening. Any ideas what is going on???

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that you are experiencing the 'honeymoon' period. Often when you start on insulin, your pancreas will regain a bit of life and start making some insulin. This is usually temporary, may come & go in fits and starts before it gives up the ghost again. I had similar after being diagnosed and needed very little insulin for quite a long period.

You've done the correct thing by reducing your insulin to save you going hypo, or having to up your eating to counter them. I think you should just carry on as you are. Keep monitoring and use insulin as and when you need it.

Hope this helps.

malcymjc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jackois, thanks for your thoughts. My numbers have been very unstable for two weeks with a few highs but more and more lows. Will keep testing and see what happens. Nothing at all straightforward about Diabetes!!!

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that the more you learn, the more there is to learn.

My diabetes is now quite settled and due to good record keeping, meals, dosages, exercising and blood sugars I'm rarely at a loss as to what it;s up to. As you gain experience with it, I'm sure you'll be the same.

Reactions: malcymjc and Freema