Blousing for pasta?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Just wanted to ask about blousing MDI (fiasp) for spaghetti.
Whenever we bolus straight up my son goes low. Would I be best blousing 50 percent before meal and then the rest an hour later or maybe two hours later?
It’s spaghetti and meatballs with a homemade tomato sauce if that helps. I get paranoid about blousing for pasta as my son always hypos & then rockets later on. he does have a dexcom so should I maybe wait to bolus the remaining half when I see his numbers start going up?

Thank you for any advice.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

Just wanted to ask about blousing MDI (fiasp) for spaghetti.
Whenever we bolus straight up my son goes low. Would I be best blousing 50 percent before meal and then the rest an hour later or maybe two hours later?
It’s spaghetti and meatballs with a homemade tomato sauce if that helps. I get paranoid about blousing for pasta as my son always hypos & then rockets later on. he does have a dexcom so should I maybe wait to bolus the remaining half when I see his numbers start going up?

Thank you for any advice.

It is very difficult to advise about dosing as we are all different and we all have to find our own way to some extent - plus it may fall foul of forum rules.

Pasta is a fairly slow burning carb' for me and and results may vary depending on whether there's any cheese involved. My blood glucose is generally in a good place 2 hrs after eating pasta. But I am often high 4 to 5 hrs after eating. So I bolus what I think I'll need, check later and add a correction dose if needed,

If you haven't already done it, you can watch for trends and see if your son always reacts the same way to pasta. That may give you an insight oon how to handle it.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would split the dose - what you describe (low in the middle, treat it, then go high later on) is exactly why I split mine.

Reactions: CheeseSeaker