Blucon Nightrider for Libre

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,

Have been researching the Blucon Nightrider for the Libre and have a few questions about it's practicality. Wanted to get some real life answers from anyone who has experience in using it.

We want to use it at night time only, to remotely monitor my 6 year old Daughers levels from the Libre.

1) It's not completely clear how this fits on to the Libre and how big it is. Is it roughly the same size as the Libre? does it snap on to the Libre or do you need some form of band or tape to hold it all in place?
2) Does it add a lot of bulk to the Libre? I ask from a comfort perspective during sleep.
3) We hold her Libre in place using Grif Grips. The grip covers the edges of the Libre. Would this interfere with placing the Nightrider on top of it and holding in place?
4) Does it last 'forever' as long as you keep replacing the battery every couple of weeks?
5) Is it pretty easy to take off and attach back on repeatedly? Attach before sleep and remove at wake up.

Any advice on any of the points above would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just literally received mine today so I'll answer as best I can:

1) It doesn't stick or snap into place. It needs to be held in place. Personally I have imported a Blucon Nightrider fix from Freestyle sticker in Germany.
2) I'd say it's a little bigger than the Libre itself.
3) I can't say with this one as the only time I have used the Libre I didn't stick it on with anything but it's own adhesive. That sensor was welded to my arm.
4) You just change the CR2032 battery every so often and it should keep ticking along.
5) I'm hoping it should be with the band I've bought but probably not if it's stuck onto the sensor.

I'm going to tag @Scott-C for you who I believe has had one of these for a while and will probably be able to answer more of these.
He has a thread discussing his Nightrider here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dexing-my-libre-blucon-nightrider.122025/

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Have been researching the Blucon Nightrider for the Libre and have a few questions about it's practicality. Wanted to get some real life answers from anyone who has experience in using it.

We want to use it at night time only, to remotely monitor my 6 year old Daughers levels from the Libre.

1) It's not completely clear how this fits on to the Libre and how big it is. Is it roughly the same size as the Libre? does it snap on to the Libre or do you need some form of band or tape to hold it all in place?
2) Does it add a lot of bulk to the Libre? I ask from a comfort perspective during sleep.
3) We hold her Libre in place using Grif Grips. The grip covers the edges of the Libre. Would this interfere with placing the Nightrider on top of it and holding in place?
4) Does it last 'forever' as long as you keep replacing the battery every couple of weeks?
5) Is it pretty easy to take off and attach back on repeatedly? Attach before sleep and remove at wake up.

Cheers.

Hi, @T1Dad , I've had blucon for about 6 months now and been using it with xDrip+ for 3 months. I'm very happy with it. Being able to calibrate vastly improves accuracy, and the customisable hypo/hyper alerts are great.

Re your questions:

1. It's only a millimetre or two wider than a sensor, and maybe about the same height as two and a half sensors stacked on top of each other. I've attached a photo but the angle I took it at makes it look bigger than it actually is. It's quite compact. It doesn't snap on. The underside is slightly concave so that it is placed on top of the sensor to "enclose" it, but then needs to be held in place. I just went cheap and cheerful with a cheap 17 pence sticking 7 by 8 cm sticking plaster, but some people use armbands - one of those things which runners use to hold keys/phones on their arms might do the trick if you were to get a needle and thread out and stitch a little pocket into it to hold the blucon. The main thing is to make sure it's located on top of the sensor - if it goes sliding around a lot, chance of both dislodging sensor and losing signal - turned out just plastering it on was the simplest for me.

2. I don't notice it, asleep or awake. One concern was that as it sits on top of libre and makes it a bit higher, I was worried it might be prone to "levering" the sensor out of place, if I rolled on it during sleep, but it's been fine. I try to sleep on the opposite arm, but when I wake up on the attached arm, there's not been any noticeable problems.

3. I've not used grif grips, but from looking at photos, it looks like the blucon would be a millimetre or two above the sensor instead of enclosing it as it usually does. I wonder whether that might affect the NFC range, simply don't know the answer to that, but suspect not, as nfc is normally good for a few centimetres so still likely well in range. Griff grips seem to take up quite a large surface area, so an option might just be to use a bit of surgical tape to tape over blucon on to the upper surface of the grip.

4. I think it's warranted for a year, but it's just some electronics and I'm reasonably confident it'll last for way longer. Batteries seem to last at least 2 to 3 weeks but I change them anyway each time I change the sensor just to avlid it pegging out. There's a charge remaining feature in xdrip+ but I vaguely recall reading on github that they are still working on it for this set up.

5. Yes, it's easy to take on and off. I just take it on and off for showers. I don't need to switch it on and off and back on again - just peel the plaster off, tag it back on again, and it automatically picks up again on the next 5 min read. I suspect you could do the same if just using overnight, but if you need to switch it off, only a minute or two to restart.

Of course, all of the above is from my point of view as using it as an adult and being aware I've got something on my arm I need to keep from knocking too much. Whether it'll stand up to the rough and tumble of a youngster is a question I can't answer.

Subject to that caveat, though, yeah, I've found it an incredibly useful gadget quite apart from the hypo alarm.

The makers seem to have been overwhelmed by demand and their ordering system is pretty chaotic. There's a few posters have now got them, but others have reported substantial delays.

Good luck with it if you decide to go ahead!

Here's the photo:

20170612_191508.jpg

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually just received this.

I am trying to set it up with xDrip. @Scott-C did it take long to Collect Initial Reading? It seems to be taking ages with the first point of just Data Collection Running...

The LinkBluCon app just looks **** to me, can't reall do much except see the readings

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Awesome!! Thanks so much for the replies they have been very helpful. It does look quite chunky from the photo and might take some persuading for her to accept it to sleep with (she moves around a hell of a lot at night!!). @db89 thanks...I'll check out the product you ordered from Germany.

@Scott-C This was exactly the write up I was looking for. Thanks so much. I think the only decision I have left to consider is the size of it and if she will be comfortable sleeping with it on. The website says it will dispatch Orders from 15th January so maybe a 6-8 week wait from here. I might just try it. But if it does not work out then should be able to recoup some cash using eBay or something.

Am sure the makers will develop this further.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I actually just received this.

I am trying to set it up with xDrip. @Scott-C did it take long to Collect Initial Reading? It seems to be taking ages with the first point of just Data Collection Running...

The LinkBluCon app just looks **** to me, can't reall do much except see the readings

Hi, Joe, it's 3 months since I first set it up, so I'm forgetting some of the details, but that bit about it hanging at collecting initial details is ringing a bell. Can't remember now whether it was just after I'd paired it to the transmitter or after I'd entered the two required calibrations, but it definitely went into it's own version of an endless egg timer. My recollection is that I just did what IT depts always say - switched it off, then switched it on again. It worked fine after that.

I know very little about phones and apps, so if you can't get it running, maybe have a look at the xdrip+ issues page to see if there's been something similar. This link here mentions getting stuck on collecting initial readings:
https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/210

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Joe, it's 3 months since I first set it up, so I'm forgetting some of the details, but that bit about it hanging at collecting initial details is ringing a bell. Can't remember now whether it was just after I'd paired it to the transmitter or after I'd entered the two required calibrations, but it definitely went into it's own version of an endless egg timer. My recollection is that I just did what IT depts always say - switched it off, then switched it on again. It worked fine after that.

I know very little about phones and apps, so if you can't get it running, maybe have a look at the xdrip+ issues page to see if there's been something similar. This link here mentions getting stuck on collecting initial readings:
https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/210

Got it going. Have to say I really like the look of things so far. A little dubious about the prediction arrow at the moment....maybe it just needs to figure out where I actually go after taking it. After calibrations, it's **** close to a finger prick test....the Libre currently reads about 1.2-2mmol out, where as the xDrip is no more than 0.3mmol out most of the time. If it can keep that up, it's **** impressive. Also tested the alarm function, again, excellent to have this and a piece of mind too..

When taking off for a shower and what not, or perhaps i'm just too far away from my phone for a little bit, will it just pick up all of the data when it's back in range/back on my arm?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome!! Thanks so much for the replies they have been very helpful. It does look quite chunky from the photo and might take some persuading for her to accept it to sleep with (she moves around a hell of a lot at night!!). @db89 thanks...I'll check out the product you ordered from Germany.

@Scott-C This was exactly the write up I was looking for. Thanks so much. I think the only decision I have left to consider is the size of it and if she will be comfortable sleeping with it on. The website says it will dispatch Orders from 15th January so maybe a 6-8 week wait from here. I might just try it. But if it does not work out then should be able to recoup some cash using eBay or something.

Am sure the makers will develop this further.

It really isn't as bulky as it looks in the picture, and it its over your existing sensor, so it's not too bad. The only thing is holding it in place, at the moment I have a big leg plaster. Will probably look as some sort of support that tightens around the arm that will hold it in place. I have only had it a number of hours, but already i'm a little excited about it....

Not so excited about customs charging me €40 though

Stroudie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI Guys,

I am a Dexcom user looking for a cheaper alternative and have just arrived at the point of fitting my 1st Libre and attaching the Nightrider. I have used the Freesticker to hold it in place and which works fine except that you have to shorten and stitch the strap otherwise it just slips and loosens and falls off.

I am useless at IT however and my problem is just getting on to xdrip, Whenever I go to Play I am offered everything but. The first up is an app called glimp - this at least shows that nightrider works as it is loading the Libre info presumably by bluetooth on to my phone and showing the graph. Interestingly it does not interfere with the Dexcom which also works by bluetooth. My chief need is the alarm and so far I have not found one on Glimp.

My phone is a Samsung S5 and when I finally found a web address that seemed to take me to xdrip a message came up to say I needed a later addition of the Chrome or Firefox. In my ignorance I thought the S5 would use Samsung's own browser.

Can someone who has managed to connect to xdrip tell me how they did it and what browser they are using?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Stroudie

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tempted to let it go close...
75eacc3236c1295ca4f2742947a95fb0.jpg

Aw, brilliant, Joe, glad you got those little blue dots after all that button pressing!

Don't regard the prediction arrows or the purple and red dots which appear after the blue dots as truth: they're just broad indicators of what might happen, they'll often rejig after they get more information from the 5 min readings. I tend to just keep an eye on them and see how they pan out. They're just clues about what might happen, not what will happen.

Tightens it up a bit if you go into Settings/Predictive Simulations, and set your own carb ratios etc there. But always remember, they are just clues, use them as well as all the other clues and indicators you get from what you've learned so far from your T1 life. Technology like this is great but there's a lot of room for instinct and gut feel.

No, if you take it off for a shower, or go out of range, it won't fill in missing data - you'll just get some missing blue dots for however long you've been showering. It'll pick up again on the next 5 min read ok. It'll sometimes lose the connection for 10 mins or so every once in a while, maybe once or twice a week or fortnight, so no big deal.

Calibration is important. It can wander if you don't. So does Dexcom. I usually calibrate when I wake: chances are higher then of bg being similar to ifg and the whole show being stable. Then maybe at teatime just as a cross check, and usually at bedtime. You'll still get random flyers when bg is changing rapidly but that's just biology and no cgm can deal with that.

Also, don't react to everything you see when the blue dots change. You can definitely see inflections in the line happening, think maybe time for 5g or 1 or 2 u to tail it off, sometimes that's the right thing to do, but, often, leaving it for 10 to 20 mins to confirm the inflection is happening is correct: sometimes it inflects back down or up again. Gotta learn patience in this game.

Have fun with it!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI Guys,

I am a Dexcom user looking for a cheaper alternative and have just arrived at the point of fitting my 1st Libre and attaching the Nightrider. I have used the Freesticker to hold it in place and which works fine except that you have to shorten and stitch the strap otherwise it just slips and loosens and falls off.

I am useless at IT however and my problem is just getting on to xdrip, Whenever I go to Play I am offered everything but. The first up is an app called glimp - this at least shows that nightrider works as it is loading the Libre info presumably by bluetooth on to my phone and showing the graph. Interestingly it does not interfere with the Dexcom which also works by bluetooth. My chief need is the alarm and so far I have not found one on Glimp.

My phone is a Samsung S5 and when I finally found a web address that seemed to take me to xdrip a message came up to say I needed a later addition of the Chrome or Firefox. In my ignorance I thought the S5 would use Samsung's own browser.

Can someone who has managed to connect to xdrip tell me how they did it and what browser they are using?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Stroudie

Hi, Stroudie, xDrip+ isn't on Play. You can get it here:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases

Posts #1 and #5 on this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-hypo-alerts-with-libre-blucon-and-xdrip.127195/

give some detail about setting it up. Making sure the blucon is paired properly with xdrip is the main thing to watch out for: after scanning to find the blucon you neee to click the entry for it to bring up a screen where you enter the last six numbers on the side of it.

Not sure about the browser issue you mention.

Stroudie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Stroudie, xDrip+ isn't on Play. You can get it here:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases

Posts #1 and #5 on this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-hypo-alerts-with-libre-blucon-and-xdrip.127195/

give some detail about setting it up. Making sure the blucon is paired properly with xdrip is the main thing to watch out for: after scanning to find the blucon you neee to click the entry for it to bring up a screen where you enter the last six numbers on the side of it.

Not sure about the browser issue you mention.

Many thanks Scott,
Will give it a go.
Been playing around with Glimp all morning.
It syncs beautifully with my S5 and I finally got it to sound alarms but could find no way to shut them up apart from closing and re-booting phone.
Will let you know how I get on
Stroudie

TOPson

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, first post on here. I have a 12 year son type 1 diabetic for 2 years. Using Libre for 18 months plus. Love the Libre but would like alarms and would like to be able to see his readings when away from home. Have taken the plunge and ordered blucon -plan to set up xdrip which seems pretty straightforward but struggling to find out how this works with nightscout. Anyone had any experience with this?

wrobin

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I got my Blucon just before Christmas and set up Xdrip and Nightscout, which was surprisingly straightforward. Got it all working on Christmas Eve, which was wildly exciting for me and of little importance to my 13 year old T1 daughter! The instructions for Nightscout are excellent. I had no idea what I was doing, but followed them to the letter and everything worked out perfectly. Just needed a bit of patience waiting for the first data to come through.

I set up the Libre and blucon following instructions from http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-hypo-alerts-with-libre-blucon-and-xdrip.127195/ and then set up Nightscout following instructions from http://www.nightscout.info/wiki/welcome/nightscout-for-libre. I used a Heroku site rather than Azure, which was slightly alarming as it wanted credit card details to set up, but I've kept an eye on it and it doesn't charge you (so far!) I have read that users with 2 diabetic children do get charged a little (7 dollars a month) as it's related to the amount of data sent, although I might have got that wrong. I don't believe the site will charge me, as I've just the one diabetic child, although as I've said I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

I have to say I am incredibly impressed with xdrip and Nightscout. I've only been using it for 2 days, but it is so helpful. We've had problems with daughter hypoing at night, or randomly going very high, so setting alarms and being able to sleep is fantastic. Also not having to creep about in the dark to do finger pricks or read Libre, when she's inevitably lying on the sensor is fantastic. I love this technology but sadly can't afford to use it all the time. It was my Christmas present to myself. Daughter was v reluctant to wear the sensor at first, but hasn't complained after first couple of hours, probably because I'm not bugging her to test her blood all the time!

The ability to calibrate the Libre is also excellent. I used to find some sensors would run high or low, but with xdrip you can put in the values from finger pricks and it adjusts the readings. I'm still finding out how it all works, but have been so impressed with it so far. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help, with my massive 2 days worth of experience!!

Emma44

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi All,

Cheers.
Hi!

Can I ask where you are planning to order it from? I can only find the site where it’s in dollars (which am assuming is correct as others are talking about customs charges)? Also you seem to have to order the Nightrider and the Transam but I think we only want to the Nightrider (I was on the Ambrosia systems website).

We’ve only recently been using the freestyle for my daughter (9 yrs) and having the option to link it to my iPhone is great.
Thank you

wrobin

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I ordered mine from https://www.ambrosiasys.com/
It's a US site so the price is in dollars. I don't think you can buy it anywhere else.

There was a customs charge when it was delivered, which is VAT plus £8 post office handling fee. You can reclaim the VAT part by writing to Border Force and stating that it's for the sole use of someone with diabetes and is used to monitor blood glucose continuously.

You don't need to order the Transam - just make sure the quantity is set to zero.

My daughter and I are really pleased with ours.

Stroudie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many thanks Scott,
Will give it a go.
Been playing around with Glimp all morning.
It syncs beautifully with my S5 and I finally got it to sound alarms but could find no way to shut them up apart from closing and re-booting phone.
Will let you know how I get on
Stroudie

Hi Scott,

Just a note to thank you for your help with xdrip+ and Nightrider.

I feel like I have been round the Grand National course 3 times with fence after fence put in my way but I am now there with everything up and running, alarms working.

It took 4 or 5 weeks for Ambrosia to deliver. They apparently acknowledge your payment and that is it until they despatch, emails enquiring about delivery are not answered

I then ordered my Libre and the overnight delivery took nine days.

I then spent another nine days trying to download the latest update to install xdrip before I found that Chrome block the download of anything that does not come from Play. Had to tick a box that said I accepted responsibility for any problems with the app.

After a week of playing around with it running alongside my G5 the overwhelming first impression is how accurate the Libre sensor is compared with the G5. After 14 days with no calibration this morning it registered 8.2 against the fingerstick of 7.8 and the G5 at 5.4. I think the last two G5 sensors have not been as good as some earlier ones and perhaps I have had a particularly good Libre one.

I guess the next move is to see if Nightscout fully replaces Dexcom's Clarity site – I like it's daily updates of the HbA1c forecasts – proved very accurate at my last clinic visit at the moment Nightscout seems to want me to use Glimp and does not know anything about Nightrider - guess I need to do more digging,

Cheers,

Stroudie

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent stuff. My nightrider didn't register for 20mins last night and I kind of panicked, but I just reset it and off it went again. Goes to show how much I value it now.

I have managed to get it also displayed on my Samsung Geat S3 Watch, which is handy when driving etc, even vibrates when going low/high..!