Type 2 Blurred vision constantly

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is my vision always blurred? My BG levels on the whole arent bad, rarely above 8. I do however drink alcohol once a week, it goes up to about 10 then starts to drop, presumably because of the alcohol. The hangovers I get now though are HORRIFIC!!! Is this another 'side effect' of the diabetes?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yup agreed you need to get checked out

why do you drink if it effects you in such a way?

Reactions: 8 people

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my first eye photo appointment later this month. I enjoy drinking however it does seem that I am going to have to try drink much less as I cant shake the hangover like I used to. The DN said the blurred vision is sugar molecules and it would settle when I get the levels down, it hasnt though
:(

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
try Bacardi and diet coke when going out.

It takes some getting use to when you away from fosters lager but you end up drinking less.

I normally drink when watching a football match and enjoy a few beers then but seeing as the season is almost over and games that mean something are few and far between I am going to try and have a dry month for May.

Regards to the problems with eyes, I also have the same issue.

david6026

Yeh the build up of sugar behind the eyes cause blurred vision and if your bg/s are always high through time it will damage your vision I was like this at the start when 1st found out I was diabetic in jan 2013 I was ner blind but after got my self under control it's all back to normal now :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

david6026

Ps I drink pints of Stella and then when get sick of Stella I move on to vodka and red bull and eat a pizza on way home or chips and I wake up early the next morning an check my bgs and there a little high as in 13/14/15s then I do a correction and alls good again lol but i will be tested in magaluf next month for a stag lol should be interesting lol

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My eyesight has got better since doing LCHF diet. My latest prescription for reading glasses has decreased from the one 2 years ago. It's up to you guys of course, but to me my sight is worth so much more than a few pints. When I go to a football match, I want to actually watch the game, the tickets cost so much, I don't want to miss a moment of it with fuzzy eyes.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose I AM going to have to resign myself to lager being off the agenda. Tried Coors light as that is apparently lower in carbs than fosters (heard San Miguel is too which makes me happy as holiday coming up) Been down the road of trying spirits too but ended up vomitting all over the plants in the garden (have you ever seen a drunk runner bean hehe) With the exception of the beers at weekend I have nailed the glucose levels, so guess its just a matter of weaning myself off it lol x

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose I AM going to have to resign myself to lager being off the agenda. Tried Coors light as that is apparently lower in carbs than fosters (heard San Miguel is too which makes me happy as holiday coming up) Been down the road of trying spirits too but ended up vomitting all over the plants in the garden (have you ever seen a drunk runner bean hehe) With the exception of the beers at weekend I have nailed the glucose levels, so guess its just a matter of weaning myself off it lol x
Yeh, it's not easy, is it? Hubby had a pint of real ale from a local brewery yesterday and I had just a sip, because I was curious, I so wish I hadn't because now I want more, it tasted divine.

Reactions: 2 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all responsible for our own health. If I had BG reading of 10 or more I would have a fit!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The eye blurriness won't go away if you are getting blood sugars up and down, up to eight or ten. It's caused by sugar leaving the eyeball as well as sugar entering it. So to get over it you need to have blood sugar that is regularly low, not just mostly low but sometimes high. I still get it sometimes when my blood sugar rises a lot or drops a lot. Switching to carb free boozing will help.

Reactions: 4 people

seanmorris1

I don't drink but still get blurred vision but my sugar levels have never been low as in down to 7 or even 8. My average count is
At 12-14 so I'm sure this is why my eyesight is so badly affected I can't wait to have normal readings and have it under control
Have been like this since I was diagnosed put on metformin and also 7 months ago got put on the Levimar insulin pen but at max
On that now but got hospital on 21st may so hopefully they will introduce a new insulin to supplement what I take in insulin now

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The eye blurriness won't go away if you are getting blood sugars up and down, up to eight or ten. It's caused by sugar leaving the eyeball as well as sugar entering it. So to get over it you need to have blood sugar that is regularly low, not just mostly low but sometimes high. I still get it sometimes when my blood sugar rises a lot or drops a lot. Switching to carb free boozing will help.

If I have any more than 2 - 3 glasses of red wine, the hangover is terrible, I try to limit it so that it helps my BP not hinder it, I never take a drink unless I'm well hydrated and try and have some Tea with milk before bed, don't ask me why but always feels better with tea,
Even when I wasn't drinking when working as a taxi driver, I could drink juice all night in the car, but if I had a headache, tea was the only thing which made me feel better, that was before being diagnosed,
Before I took tablets I used to have blurry vision sometimes, and dry red eyes in the morning

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that I will be given tablets at my review on 22 of this month. My overall control is quite good but I do keep having blips which will raise the Hba1c. Nurse implied at my diagnosis that I would be going on to gliclazide, however I read that this is not a good choice for people needin to lose weight. I am still convinced that i can do it with diet but I have to get over the occasional 'sod it' moments :/

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the visit on the 22nd may was a good outcome with the stats as per my signature. Now though....I think the diabetes is out of control. EVERY time I eat I am almost unable to stay awake and can barely see for the blurred vision. Have had some normal readings and a fair few up at 10/11. Cut the carbs back down so dunno what else i can do except medication :(