Blurry eyes

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After about 3 weeks of intermittent blurry vision, I finally went to the opticians. After every test they had, including a scan, it turns out that I am a bit long sighted. What a relief. The optician said that high BGs may have masked the condition and, now they have returned to normal (thanks to LCHF and advice from this forum) my eyesight has become problematic. Over £1000 pounds later, I await the arrival of my new glasses. But worth it.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
After every test they had, including a scan, it turns out that I am a bit long sighted.

Should have gone to Specsavers. I'm assuming you're not in the UK as I feel sure the first thing my optician would have done would be the good old fashioned eye chart test followed by using different lenses to find the best fit. Other tests might come later and scans would require a referral.

Over £1000 pounds later

Pleased you have a resolution. I only pay for the glasses, I think and I whinge at the £250 I pay then.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was all done at my request, to put my mind at rest. I got three pairs of glasses for that: I pair of varifocal polarising sunnies, a pair of varifocal clear and some reading only glasses. I used the money I have saved since giving up smoking in January to pay for them. And yes, I live in sunny Dorset!

Reactions: Struma

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Sorry I forgot that when first wearing glasses you tend to buy a couple of pairs. Over the last 40 years of glasses wearing it's only been with my current optician that I can usually just change the lens, in the past, opticians liked to make you buy frames as well.

I had a cataract done 18 months ago so my left eye (new lens after cataract removed) is good for driving and the right eye is good for reading.

Well done on giving up smoking, I always say it's the best thing I ever did although my wife says it was marrying her LOL

Reactions: HelenHak

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prices vary enormously in different opticians. Last time I bought glasses I got two pairs with single vision lenses, including anti scratch and transitions (reactolite) lenses for about £120. Boots would have charged me nearer £500 for the same.

Bushers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed long sighted a few weeks ago, but it is only when my sugar is high. Sometimes I need to wear my glasses to watch TV others I don't. Apparently higher levels affect the eye lense, varying your focal length.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The mark up on specs is horrendous and it depends on the ranges offered. A city centre design boutique offering gold and horn v on line is two different worlds. I get three pairs a time. Variofocal polarised for general use and because I have dreadful myopia 2 lighter fixed distance frames that are less strain to the eye and nose. Tinted distance and reading. Cost £375 from specsavers - but I have glaucoma so do not pay for the test.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My bgs hardly ever go above 5.7. As I will be wearing these most of the time, I wanted my first glasses to be what I really wanted to have. Some of the costs were for the tests. I would have to travel quite a way to find one of the optician chains.