Blurry vision

Adswoodartist

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My eyes have gone blurry. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 48 years. There is no pain, my eues just feel hot and tired and won't focus properly. My blood sugar levels do not seem to affect it.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was coming to terms with a prediabetes diagnosis last year, I had been reading about vision issues and diabetes and, as I had blurred vision, was wondering if I was further on with diabetes than I had been told. When I went for an eye test it turned out I had a cataract! I am relatively young for that, but have to say that having it removed and a new lens replacement has made a huge, positive difference. Blurred vision was affecting my balance before. But I don't think it was related to diabetes issues in my case. I did get quite a few eye infections, too. Again, not related to blood sugar levels, it turned out. Probably a good idea to have an eye test if you can. I noticed some of the opticians offer discounted tests, if you use a code on their website to book an appointment (in case it's something you would normally have to pay for).

Dark Horse

You should see your GP today. There are a number of conditions that could cause this (e.g. allergies, infections, uveitis) which may need treatment. Some conditions could require urgent referral to an ophthalmologist so it is best to get your eyes checked as soon as possible.

Diabetic macular oedema can cause blurred vision but would not cause the eyes to feel hot and tired.