Bolusing & hypos

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!

I've been put on a basal/bolus regime of Lantus and Apidra.
I take 20 units of Lantus a day. I've found that bolusing for all three meals had me running really low/going into hypo between meals, so instead I have started just bolusing for my evening meal. So far, my numbers are all good, and I'm not dropping too low. Is this an okay thing to be doing? Or do you have to bolus before each meal?

Thank you!
Anna xo

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @annapanna93

The main thing is that you avoid hypos, so yes it's best not to take quick acting before certain meals if it's sending you hypo. It would be best to talk to your team about changing doses as we can't really advise you about that.

Reactions: annapanna93

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much Aprida are you taking? Are you carb counting?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could it be your basal dosage is mopping up some of the food? Has your DSN given you any advice on how to check your basal dose is correct and are you just on starting doses?

I know it's early days on your new regime but getting the basal right will be the foundation for control. Once that's right you will be able to confidently work out your bolus ratios.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could it be your basal dosage is mopping up some of the food? Has your DSN given you any advice on how to check your basal dose is correct and are you just on starting doses?

My thoughts too, a basal check would provide the answer.

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Thank you for your replies!

I haven't heard of a basal check actually. I'll Google it now.
I figured my dose must be too high if I wasn't needing to bolus as much.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Thank you for your replies!

I haven't heard of a basal check actually. I'll Google it now.
I figured my dose must be too high if I wasn't needing to bolus as much.
I used this site when I first did a basal test (and yes, found it was too high!). Only thing is the units need to be converted: mg/dl / 18 = mmol/l.

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be bad though if I continued on the dose I'm on and just not bolus? (Unless of course I needed to based on my BG)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Would it be bad though if I continued on the dose I'm on and just not bolus? (Unless of course I needed to based on my BG)

Not bad, but if your basal is too high what will happen if you didn't eat or had a delayed meal, personally I'd rather have the reassurance of a correct basal and just bolus for the meals accordingly.