Bone Broth Fat

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi. I'm a couple of month into eating low carb and have decided to try to get into Ketosis. It's a battle due to years of trying to live low fat but I'm listening to the "fat is your friend" messages I'm reading everywhere and the last couple of days I've fully committed myself. In order to maintain electrolyte levels I've made some bone broth. As expected when I got up this morning there is a 10mm layer of fat settled on top of the broth. I think I know the answer to this question but could do with hearing someone say it.

Do I have the broth with the fat or do I skim it off?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends.. we tend to skim ours off and use it for frying stuff, but then I add butter to the broth to up the fat content.
I suggest you try a bit with, and a bit without, and maybe the without with some butter in it and see which you prefer.

Edit to add.. you do know that you don't need bone broth to get into ketosis though? Bacon and eggs probably works just as well. It's the absence of carbs rather than anything else.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Depends.. we tend to skim ours off and use it for frying stuff, but then I add butter to the broth to up the fat content.
I suggest you try a bit with, and a bit without, and maybe the without with some butter in it and see which you prefer.

Edit to add.. you do know that you don't need bone broth to get into ketosis though? Bacon and eggs probably works just as well. It's the absence of carbs rather than anything else.
Thanks for the reply Bulkbiker. Yes the broth is just for electrolyte replacement.