Book Reviews

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have read a book relating to diabetes, please write a review of it here and we will publish on the site.

Thankyou,

Admin

Orchid

Hi

I recently bought "Low-Carb Slow Cooker Classics" - its a recipe book.

The use of the slow cooker is ideal if you're a busy person. A little prep in the morning, but coming home to delicious slow cooked food.

In all honesty I haven't attempted any of the recipes yet, but they look good and include:
Tuscan Chicken, Kashmiri Lamb Shanks, Teriyaki-Tangerine Ribs, Chicken Minestrone, Orange Rosemary Pork, Chiptole Brisket, Firehouse Chillie, Thai Chicken Bowls, Braised Pork with Fennel etc. :D

wiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am about to buy a slow cooker as basically i have been eating trash and anything that's fast to make, as now have to be more aware of what I'm eating to get them numbers down a slow cooker will ensure tasty meals with all the right stuff.

I just ordered the book with some other ones like my fav spicy foods (with brown rice) :lol:

My freezer now has no nice food in like choc and ready meals, so will freeze any extra slow cooker stuff I make.

Must admit been diagnosed diabetic has really woken me up, just need the fags to go and I be more happy :D :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I rate Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution as an essential. He explains everything.
The if you want a fascinating, but not necessarily easy, read. there's "The Diet Deception" by Gary Taubes. This journalist spent years collating research material on what constitutes a healthy diet for humans. He's not a research scientist, but a thorough researcher. It's an eye opener. The last 92 pages of my copy consist of references, which are checkable

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive recently read "think like a pancreas" by Gary Scheiner, i was about to start basal bolus and this book was a lifesaver, i keep nipping back to it to learn more :D

Trinkwasser

Pumping Insulin by John Walsh comes recommended for insulin users not just pumpers.

Also Gretchen Becker's Type 2 Diabetes - The First Year

no I can't review them yet, I don't seem to find time to read books. I do glare at them on the shelf occasionally (also have Bernstein and Taubes which are huge)

saz1

I bought a book by Dr Sarah Brewer; Overcoming Diabetes (Natural health Guru) soon after I was diagnosed. She explains very thoroughly about diabetes and it's effects on your health including all the major complications. She also discusses all sorts of supplements and most useful foods to help lower blood sugars. There is some controversial research too regarding things like cinnamon and various vitamins but no pressure to follow the given information. The scientific side of the book is well and clearly written and very easy to follow, I would imagine even for non medical based readers.

She goes on to give three different plans to help combat high blood sugars and lipids, basically easy, intermediate and demanding. Easy plan follows low GI largely with reduced carbs and increased exercise for people who are large, unfit or otherwise not used to a healthier lifestyle. Foods and recipes are easy to follow and cook and exercise instructions are light with walking and progressive yoga postures. She also suggests alternative therapies like massages to support medical tratments.

Intermediate plan follows mediterranean style diet with a lot of olive oil and fish etc. Again there are exercise suggestions and youga instructions but more advanced and demanding for people who already are familiar with healthy lifestyle and diet.

Demanding plan is much more demanding, it follows traditional japanese eating plan (without white rice etc.) and includes a lot of exercise and rather a large lifestyle and diet change. All the plans are carb reduced and doable and backed up with research and science but I would say only the most hardened converts would go to the extent of the demanding plan.

All together I found this book very enjoyable and still read it regularly. I have also tried some recipes from it and thoroughly enjoyed them. If you are not open minded and support alternative therapies as a support for your medical treatments though, it might be best to leave this book on the side but to all others I would heartily recommend this book. But to highlight, this book is not offering to be replacing western medicine but to support the treatments you are using.

Nikki Wallis

**NEW BOOK** Diabetic Athletes Handbook 2009

:shock: This new book by Type 1 diabetic Dr Sheri Colberg-Ochs, is now also available in the UK from [email protected]

It is an essential bit of reading for anyone with diabetes (whether on tablets or insulin injections or insulin pump) who wants to engage in any type of exercise and covers all the basics you should know, together with case studies and contacts of individuals who are being successful with their diabetes management in their chosen sport.

Definitely worth looking at and dipping in and out of as a resource.

Nikki