Boots And The Freestyle Libre

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just thought I would give a heads up as to Boots position on the Freestyle Libre. I recemtly bought a sensor from my small,local boots pharmacy and paid £35. All well and good, but when I collected it I was informed that they would no longer be supplying them without a prescription. I contacted a larger branch of Boots and was told that they would supply them but that the cost was now £52. When I queried this I was told that at £35 they were making no profit hence the price increase.
I was annoyed by this so thought I would contact the CEO of Boots Elizabeth Fagan. by email [email protected] to complain. Below is the reply I received back. to say that I was underwelmed by this responce is an understatement. What do others think ?

Dear Mr Mills

Thank you for writing in to Elizabeth Fagan. Ms Fagan has asked me to thank you for the time you have taken to contact her and she has further requested that I look into this matter on her behalf.

I can fully appreciate the lifestyle benefits of the very popular Freestyle Libre device, especially for people who suffer with diabetes. I understand that there is also currently supply issues with this device due to it’s popularity there are issues reported with the supply of this sensor.

To confirm, we have recently taken a business decision and we will now only be able to supply via Boots stores this sensor on prescription only. This product was never an item which was stocked by us, as each order would needed to be previously fulfilled by our Special Order Pharmacy Team. I appreciate for many of our patients and customers this news will not be well received as we are well aware that many NHS Trusts are not happy to budget and fund for this device to be supplied on prescription.

I do however sincerely thank you for your comments and I can assure you I have shared these with the relevant teams and senior colleagues within Boots.

Kind regards

Boots Executive Office

D94 Building

Nottingham

NG90 1BS

*Edited by a moderator to remove personal information

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jo Bodensee

Interesting! In Germany they cost 60€/sensor (60€ is also what the scanner costs) and we can buy them without the prescription if we want to. However, when we do get a prescription, we have to deal directly with Abbott. We send them the prescription per post and they contact our health insurance agency (we pay for our own insurance here and there are many different agencies to choose from) and negotiate with them to have it covered. It's actually super easy.

Sorry to hear that it's so complicated for you :(

Reactions: dbr10

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All very frustrating, but at the end of the day all these places are businesses that have to make a profit for their share holders. They are not charities and we cannot expect them to be so.
I decided to stick with my local pharmacy where all my prescriptions go through and I have fostered a good long term relationship with. We actually negotiated a price that gave me a discount but also enabled him to make a profit. A win win in my opinion.

At the end of the day, the problem lies with the ridiculous postcode lottery in this country that decides people living in some areas are more worthy of receiving medical supplies on prescription than others. Regardless of the fact that we all ultimately pay the same in. That applies to sufferers in all manner of conditions not just diabetes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo Bodensee

Whirl2

Hi.
I wonder if it's select boots? I've just picked one up today for my daughter and they weren't even aware boots weren't supplying them any more, although it's not avaliable on prescription in our area either.

Mikew70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been using Asda who charge around £45 so much cheaper than Boots. I had to use Boots on holiday in Newquay as there was no Asda pharmacy near by. My sensor has now stopped working after only a week so I will be visiting Boots tomorrow to see how their after service works out! I have heard that Superdrug shops with pharmacies are stocking it at £35 so will try them next. At the end of the day Boots have made a poor business decision and I suspect their pricing structure will see them go the same way as many of the other "traditional" High Street retailers who failed to adapt. Surely they could have took a business decision which considered the fact that the same customers will probably now change supplier for their prescription insulin too. I am sure they get a healthy profit on those prescriptions!