Borrow Libre reader

Mons

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello from an anxious parent, my 10 year old daughter is due to go away on Monday for a school trip for 5 days. This is the first trip away from home since she was diagnosed in summer 2016. I have been loosing sleep over her night time checks while she is away, two staff members have just been trained this week and the look on their faces was of overwhelm and confusion. They are as scared of handling next week as I am sending her away. I never wanted diabetes to get in the way of her living her life and have always encouraged her to learn and manage as much as possible so she becomes confident in taking care of her diabetes.

I have written up a detailed care plan, worked out her carbs and made a meal plan but still very anxious about her getting hypos while she is away. I have managed to speak to another parent who suggested freestyle libre, and has a spare sensor that she can lend to me. Checked on the website to order a reader and that could take 3-5 days, spoken to diabetes team and have to wait until friday if they will have one in stock by then.

So I am reaching out here with probably an unusual request of asking if anyone wouldn't mind lending a libre reader to me for next week. It may not be possible but when it comes to your children you would not hesitate to ask for help. I hope someone is able to help me with my dilemma. Sorry for the long post but thank you for taking the time to read

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Instead of borrowing a reader an alternative method to read the meter can be done by scanning the sensor using an android phone via the libra app. Initially you will need a reader to set up the sensor by scanning it first
Hope this helps

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello from an anxious parent, my 10 year old daughter is due to go away on Monday for a school trip for 5 days. This is the first trip away from home since she was diagnosed in summer 2016. I have been loosing sleep over her night time checks while she is away, two staff members have just been trained this week and the look on their faces was of overwhelm and confusion. They are as scared of handling next week as I am sending her away. I never wanted diabetes to get in the way of her living her life and have always encouraged her to learn and manage as much as possible so she becomes confident in taking care of her diabetes.

I have written up a detailed care plan, worked out her carbs and made a meal plan but still very anxious about her getting hypos while she is away. I have managed to speak to another parent who suggested freestyle libre, and has a spare sensor that she can lend to me. Checked on the website to order a reader and that could take 3-5 days, spoken to diabetes team and have to wait until friday if they will have one in stock by then.

So I am reaching out here with probably an unusual request of asking if anyone wouldn't mind lending a libre reader to me for next week. It may not be possible but when it comes to your children you would not hesitate to ask for help. I hope someone is able to help me with my dilemma. Sorry for the long post but thank you for taking the time to read

Have you considered asking your diabetes clinic they have a reader you could have? They sometimes have them for trial sensore they sometimes give to patient.

In terms of your query, if you borrow someone else's reader, your daughter's data would be added to theirs, which could take a bit of explaining if their team looked at it in the future.

It is also possible to scan the Libre using certain Android phones, but I have no clue if more than one phone can be linked to any given sensor, as I'm more of an Apple girl myself.

Have you given any thought about any additional training the staff members would need to use the Libre, bearing in mind you've never used one before and you say they already looked daunted by the finger prick testing? Using a Libre doesn't negate the need for finger prick testing, and shouldn't be used for bolus calculations and the like.

Does you daughter routinely do her own finger prick testing herself?

Sorry if I'm not sounding overly supportive of your thoughts, but just offering feedback I hope might be helpful in some way.

Mons

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Instead of borrowing a reader an alternative method to read the meter can be done by scanning the sensor using an android phone via the libra app. Initially you will need a reader to set up the sensor by scanning it first
Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply, I downloaded Libre link and Glimp last night, both are able to take readings. But I would still need a libre reader to activate the sensor , is that correct?

Mons

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considered asking your diabetes clinic they have a reader you could have? They sometimes have them for trial sensore they sometimes give to patient.

In terms of your query, if you borrow someone else's reader, your daughter's data would be added to theirs, which could take a bit of explaining if their team looked at it in the future.

It is also possible to scan the Libre using certain Android phones, but I have no clue if more than one phone can be linked to any given sensor, as I'm more of an Apple girl myself.

Have you given any thought about any additional training the staff members would need to use the Libre, bearing in mind you've never used one before and you say they already looked daunted by the finger prick testing? Using a Libre doesn't negate the need for finger prick testing, and shouldn't be used for bolus calculations and the like.

Does you daughter routinely do her own finger prick testing herself?

Sorry if I'm not sounding overly supportive of your thoughts, but just offering feedback I hope might be helpful in some way.

Hiya it's great to have feedback so no problem. Yes she does all her finger prick tests and injections herself. I was more concerned about night time hypos and it would be much easier for staff to scan her sensor than to wake her up or try to figure out finger pricking themselves.
I have already asked the diabetes clinic and will not know until tomorrow, hence a desperate attempt here. Fingers crossed the nurse calls me with positive news tomorrow. I am surprised they don't suggest the libre themselves. I had reached out to another parent who informed how well libre worked for their child whilst away from home.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for your reply, I downloaded Libre link and Glimp last night, both are able to take readings. But I would still need a libre reader to activate the sensor , is that correct?
The LibreLink app can start the sensor

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya it's great to have feedback so no problem. Yes she does all her finger prick tests and injections herself. I was more concerned about night time hypos and it would be much easier for staff to scan her sensor than to wake her up or try to figure out finger pricking themselves.
I have already asked the diabetes clinic and will not know until tomorrow, hence a desperate attempt here. Fingers crossed the nurse calls me with positive news tomorrow. I am surprised they don't suggest the libre themselves. I had reached out to another parent who informed how well libre worked for their child whilst away from home.

If you daughter does her own testing, would she not do it in the night too?

I'm not trying to be awkward, just trying to understand where you are on this as a family. I appreciate it's going to be a nervy few days, but could possibly be a great confidence booster for your daughter to be responsible for her own testing, perhaps.

I'm not T1, or a parent, so of course I could be way off beam.

Mons

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you daughter does her own testing, would she not do it in the night too?

I'm not trying to be awkward, just trying to understand where you are on this as a family. I appreciate it's going to be a nervy few days, but could possibly be a great confidence booster for your daughter to be responsible for her own testing, perhaps.

I'm not T1, or a parent, so of course I could be way off beam.

As her day will be full of activities, she will be extremely tired to wake up every night at 11:30/12 to do her testing . So testing herself at that time every night will not be possible. At home I usually do it while she is asleep and they won't allow me to to go on the trip lol!
The LibreLink app can start the sensor

That's awesome, thank you so much

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As her day will be full of activities, she will be extremely tired to wake up every night at 11:30/12 to do her testing . So testing herself at that time every night will not be possible. At home I usually do it while she is asleep and they won't allow me to to go on the trip lol!

That's awesome, thank you so much

Mons - Not all smart phones have the required technology. There is a list that others have found helpful here: https://www.nfcworld.com/nfc-phones-list/

I have no idea how accurate or up to date the list is, but I'm sure the manufacturer's specification for any given phone would be helpful.

I'm also unsure if only one phone can read any given sensor, so it could be that there would be one phone used to start the sensor and do all the readings. I'm not sure how you might feel about that.

I may be throwing up red herrings here, but these things are better clarified before the event. Of course, ideally the answer would be if your clinic would give you a reader. There's not much time to get one from Abbott now, and unless things have changed, you would be charged for the reader.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still wonder how some of us survived being a T1 kid years back?

And that was before we had bg meters, mobiles phones or internet blogs full of glucemic index blah.
Thankfully we still went on school outings with our class mates and had a great time away from the parents at home! :)

PS: So after moderation by admin of my original post, I understand that you as a Type1 child is not allowed to consider your parents 'controlling you 24/7' is too much...

Last edited: