Bought a mahoosive swede in Aldi 39p Super Six

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For mother in law's Christmas Dinner. Now musing if it would be OK for Mr. Zig (type 2 diet controlled) if anyone could let me know I would be very interested, thanks in advance.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For mother in law's Christmas Dinner. Now musing if it would be OK for Mr. Zig (type 2 diet controlled) if anyone could let me know I would be very interested, thanks in advance.
Only by testing would one know.
Foods impact people differently. Luckily swede (Rutabaga - for our North American friends) keeps well even if cut.
So since its a large one, take some and do a trial run so you know if he will tolerate it well. Stores well in a cool dark dry place,

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/...up=Rutabagas,+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks will give it a go for mash, got this crazy cooking method for no chopping etc. http://vicki-kitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-singing-swede-slimming-world.html
I tried that, it worked but was rather unevenly cooked so now I use the following method:
Cut in half, peel with speed peeler,cut off the ends, cut into 20mm cubes, boil in salted water for about 30 mins until soft (doesn't go as soft as potato) strain and mash. Put back onto the heat and stir about to steam off any obvious water, this improves it a lot as it can be very watery. Add butter and pepper to taste.

Reactions: welovedzig

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Mr-Pot, was kind of hoping for no peeling as I have RSI :-(

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Would not try eating Swede with the peel on, especially the top. Tastes really great with ground nutmeg. I also use swede with other veggies to make "Bubble & Squeak".
Thanks, apparently, if you cook it this way you just scoop the inside out and leave the shell of the skin!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sparrow456 - I have used the method @welovedzig suggested and it works. Cook it whole, cut in half - it cuts like cooked potato, then spoon out the innards. If you're concerned if it's done or not, you could test it with a skewer.

Cooked swede freezes well, so you could cook all of it, and if there's too much it, just freeze it for another time.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It worked!! OK for MIL's dinner but the juices were sticky so not risking for Mr. Zig #scooped out skin in bin!!