Bowel Cancer screening (colonoscopy)

handyman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had two bowel cancer screenings which required no food from the previous evening and no breakfast on the day, arriving at the hospital and then being given a rapid acting (please excuse the detail) laxative for a few hours. I could control my Diabetes (type 1) on the day with lower insulin and sugar drink.
I have now moved to a different health authority and am due for another screening. This authority requires no food the day before with a slower acting laxative and no food on the day of the colonoscopy. It is suggested that I drink sugar drinks (which I don't like) all for the day before and the morning.
I have decided to drink beer the day before and sugar drink in the morning (good ale is about 20g carbohydrate per pint); is this a good plan!

Lantus
Humalog

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NO! Don't drink beer, it raises your blood sugar and then lowers several hours afterwards. I don't really like sugary drinks either but it's the only thing I can think of as well.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I have had two bowel cancer screenings which required no food from the previous evening and no breakfast on the day, arriving at the hospital and then being given a rapid acting (please excuse the detail) laxative for a few hours. I could control my Diabetes (type 1) on the day with lower insulin and sugar drink.
I have now moved to a different health authority and am due for another screening. This authority requires no food the day before with a slower acting laxative and no food on the day of the colonoscopy. It is suggested that I drink sugar drinks (which I don't like) all for the day before and the morning.
I have decided to drink beer the day before and sugar drink in the morning (good ale is about 20g carbohydrate per pint); is this a good plan!

Lantus
Humalog
O.T.
Was it Picolax?
Try this tread http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

Lantus
Humalog
I think they only suggest sugary drinks for everyone so they don't get too weak while fasting. I don't think they are necessary for the test. I would only drink sugar if I felt it was necessary, according to my BG levels.

You could ask them if the previous protocol would be ok with them instead, because on paper it does seem more appropriate for a diabetic. It would be better for me as a T2, for sure.

Maybe they do it this way because the slower acting laxative is cheaper for them. But IMO they need to be flexible for diabetics.