Boxing with t1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible for me to get a professional career in boxing if I'm a diabetic? I have been boxing for a very long time now and I think I am able to move to the next level but idk will I be able to with diabetes I was wondering if anyone had a possible idea as to if I could/couldn't start a career. Thanks !

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Unfortunately no you can not turn professional as you have type 1. How about taking up karate instead?

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont no much about boxing, Don't ever let diabetes control your career you can do whatever you want I am a dancer and there are challenging times but believe in yourself no one can tell you, you can't just practise and see what works for you and prove everyone wrong.
Wish you all the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Is it possible for me to get a professional career in boxing if I'm a diabetic? I have been boxing for a very long time now and I think I am able to move to the next level but idk will I be able to with diabetes I was wondering if anyone had a possible idea as to if I could/couldn't start a career. Thanks !

http://www.abae.co.uk/aba/index.cfm...-for-boxers-with-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes1/

http://www.abae.co.uk/aba/index.cfm...-for-boxers-with-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes1/
Two links for you, the second is from this forum, 2 years ago, good luck and all the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast just found out, YES I have controlled diabetes and I can box professionally. Thank the Lord. Panning for ages with every oz. of hard work I've put into the training. Thanks so much for the links!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CarbsRok thanks for the info but apparently the rules have changed since 2011 or something like that. Delighted at the minute. Yeh I was thinking of karate but I just suppose boxing is my thing ya know? @jemz24 thanks as well :) enjoy your dancing!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Until 2012, it looks like, diabetics were banned from professional boxing. Now there is a prohibition on boxing if you have uncontrolled diabetes, but no ban on type 1 boxers generally. It looks like the tests as to whether you would qualify as appropriately controlled are pretty rigorous - basically they really don't want you going hypo during a match and that's why you will need to be able to show you have good control and good hypo awareness - so no ignoring hypos!

D

Deleted member 308541

I believe the boxing authority in your country will give you a medical check before giving you a licence to box as a professional.

If anything is amiss you will not get one.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast just found out, YES I have controlled diabetes and I can box professionally. Thank the Lord. Panning for ages with every oz. of hard work I've put into the training. Thanks so much for the links!

I used to go watch the ABA fights with my dad in my home town, some good boxers and dare I say it, some nice looking ones too lol, but I was a teenage girl :) Good luck and all the best with your dream :)

Reactions: Struma