Bread for meals

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to make spelt wholemeal bread shortly. Hope it works out, as my bread machine is collecting dust and hubby and kids want some homemade bread plus it was £2.09 from tesco.

And I really don't like that Bergen bread and yes it doesn't make good fried bread tends to burn the pips. I hate those pips.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just purchased the LivLife loaf from Waitrose which only has 3.9 carbs per slice compared with 14 plus in most other breads.

It actually doesn't taste too bad and I am going to have a ham sandwich for lunch:)

Reactions: 4 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
First my excuse for this comment but I still can't get my head around this, sorry to say obsession with bread, haven't had any bread in my LCHF life style for the last 4-5 months and before that on very rare occasions, don't miss it at all and find there's so much delicious things you can have keeping your carbs really low and still ensure getting nutritious food.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First my excuse for this comment but I still can't get my head around this, sorry to say obsession with bread, haven't had any bread in my LCHF life style for the last 4-5 months and before that on very rare occasions, don't miss it at all and find there's so much delicious things you can have keeping your carbs really low and still ensure getting nutritious food.

I guess we all have likes and dislikes and personal preferences.

jim

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I love my bread, and toast, and have always had something on toast for lunch most days, or sandwiches. It has been part of my life for 60 odd years. So no, I haven't given it up, just changed the type and amounts.

I feel the same as you about all the people obsessing about chocolate and desserts. I am unable to understand those cravings because I have rarely eaten desserts, cakes, chocolate in large quantities or anything similar. We are all different.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 2 slices of bread a week, that's it and it's the healthy bread. My spelt bread is slightly heavy texture, but now sliced very thinly in freezer bags in t he freezer, a slice is about the size of Madeira cake. Ooh cake I've forgotten what that is.

You get sick of cooking bacon and eggs for brekkie, well I am, and the yoghurt have more carbs in than the healthy bread.

I am and always was and will be a chocoholic and am currently resisting a penguin wafer biscuit that is saying eat me lol. Along with my supply of 85% plain chocolate, the kids think plain choccy is yuck but its a lifesaver for me.

However on week 9 battling insulin weight gain, I haven't had pizza, takeaway, chips, pasta rice white bread potatoes even on a Sunday dinner and am living on cauliflower broccoli peppers, mushrooms, spinach and cheese and peanuts. I've discovered peanut 9 bars though so that's my morning snack at work, 10g carbs per bar so not too bad.

I'm thinking of growing cauliflower I go through 3 a week plus frozen cauliflower. :)

We haven't a got a waitrose around Manchester that I'm aware of

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Frallar, smörgåsar med räkor, ägg och majonnäs? You don't miss them? Rounded off with rabarberpaj och vaniljsås? Oh those were the days! Kanelbullar? Oh now you've got me started! My kids wanted them this morning so I went to Lidl to buy the anglecised version which was an hours round trip walking to return to find that they had decided that they couldn't wait and my hubbie had given them yoghurt instead! As I am sitting here writing this post, I can hear them calling me from he kitchen ät mej! Lol! I will be good and resist!

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frallar, smörgåsar med räkor, ägg och majonnäs? You don't miss them? Rounded off with rabarberpaj och vaniljsås? Oh those were the days! Kanelbullar? Oh now you've got me started! My kids wanted them this morning so I went to Lidl to buy the anglecised version which was an hours round trip walking to return to find that they had decided that they couldn't wait and my hubbie had given them yoghurt instead! As I am sitting here writing this post, I can hear them calling me from he kitchen ät mej! Lol! I will be good and resist!

Well done for walking there, I wouldn't have lol. I managed to resist the penguin wafer as well.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
image.jpg
image.jpg
they sound delicious........

jim
Oh they are! Flat rounds of white bread, quite dense in texture and covered with hard boiled egg, mayo, prawns, salad. Rhubarb crumble and creme anglaise!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done for walking there, I wouldn't have lol. I managed to resist the penguin wafer as well.
This is a pic of a kanelbulle in my fave café in Sweden!
image.jpg

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@modesty007
@Totto
image.jpg
My hubbie believes that this would be ok on a LCHF diet because the cinnamon helps lower your bs! Rofl
image.jpg

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
From where I live I would have a round trip of 26, 34, 46, or 138 miles to Waitrose don’t think it’s worth it for a loaf of bread cost me more in fuel LOL ;)

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From where I live I would have a round trip of 26, 34, 46, or 138 miles to Waitrose don’t think it’s worth it for a loaf of bread cost me more in fuel LOL ;)

If you really want it Ocado deliver. Well probably not just one loaf:D

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Love fried bread makes a good breakfast with eggs and bacon, stops me having sliced bread with with butter

I found that using extra cold press oilive oil does not cause me a problem Cost a bit more but good
Anyone else tried this

Reactions: 4 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
No not at all actually the shrimp sandwich is delicious without the bread and rather good lchf food. Did a lchf version of rhubarb pie for my friends dinner on Friday with sweetener and boy it was almost to sweet for me.
In my early lchf days I did bake some replacements but found out I don't crave them