Bread

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There's also a very low carb ( approx 1g carbs per sllce) bread mix made by Sukrin that you bake yourself. Originally recommended by someone else on the forum. It comes in a single loaf pack with its own foil baking tin , and you just add water, mix, pop in the tin and bake in the oven for just over an hour. There's a bulk buy pack too that comes without the baking tin. But they're both rather expensive compared to these other brands being discussed, though the bulk option is about half the price per loaf if you can afford the initial outlay... I get mine occasionally from Amazon if I'm feeling rich!

Robbity
Yes that was @engineer who has coeliac disease as well.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Bergen from Iceland at £1 a good size loaf. It is really nice toasted.
& Asda do it for £1 also.
& if I'm right burgen use to be 33g/100g, now it's 25g/100g & 11g/slice approx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

in2deep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The LivLife bread looks OK on the surface (been looking at their website, and Ocado's), but the price is horrendous, considering that the loaf itself is only 500g, and the slices look much smaller than "standard" bread.

I'm doing Slimming World, and calculated that each slice of LivLife is only 3.5 syns, which is good for bread, so the health benefits are fine. However if you feel you need to have more to make it worthwhile, then the benefits are trashed!

Quite a few comments on Ocado from customers who feel it's not worth it.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi Folks
Waitrose is the only store that stocks the LivLife bread. It's currently on offer for £1-00 from the usual £1-59. It sells out quickly, so I always grab a couple to freeze. Morrisons is my usual supermarket so I have to make a special trip to get the low carb bread. But it's worth it for me as all other bread varieties spike my BG. I can tolerate 2 slices, which I usually have toasted with pure peanut butter from www.beleafinnature.co.uk This is a fab website selling superfoods, nuts etc and pure Stevia.
Ali. X

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take your point @in2deep but it's the only bread that doesn't spike me so it's that or nothing. Are the "sins" related to carb count?

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone educate me as to why I need to low carb as a T1? I take insulin on the basis of how many grams of carbs I eat, what I read on here makes me think I am doing something wrong.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used Liv Life when I was first diagnosed and thought I couldn't live without bread. It's nice but as others have said, the slices are tiny.
However, I have a loaf in the freezer that's been there all year because I simply don't need or want bread any more - there are far tastier ways to get 4 grammes of carbs once you get over the "need bread" stage :)

patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
There's also a very low carb ( approx 1g carbs per sllce) bread mix made by Sukrin that you bake yourself. Originally recommended by someone else on the forum. It comes in a single loaf pack with its own foil baking tin , and you just add water, mix, pop in the tin and bake in the oven for just over an hour. There's a bulk buy pack too that comes without the baking tin. But they're both rather expensive compared to these other brands being discussed, though the bulk option is about half the price per loaf if you can afford the initial outlay... I get mine occasionally from Amazon if I'm feeling rich!

Robbity
I bake my own granary loaf. I can have 2 large slices without it affecting my BG. If anyone wants the recipe I can post it.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone educate me as to why I need to low carb as a T1? I take insulin on the basis of how many grams of carbs I eat, what I read on here makes me think I am doing something wrong.

You don't " need" to low carb as a Type 1 theoretically , but there are benefits from doing so, or at least reducing your carbs .the reasons as to why goes something like this :

To deal with carbs, you need to inject insulin. The higher the carb load, the more insulin you need. Higher doses of Insulin leads to weight gain, and possible insulin resistance. Higher body weight means you require yet more insulin. The higher the carb load/ insulin dosages , the more room there is for error with resultant hypo/ hyper.

That has been my experience anyway .

Signy

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't " need" to low carb as a Type 1 theoretically , but there are benefits from doing so, or at least reducing your carbs .the reasons as to why goes something like this :

To deal with carbs, you need to inject insulin. The higher the carb load, the more insulin you need. Higher doses of Insulin leads to weight gain, and possible insulin resistance. Higher body weight means you require yet more insulin. The higher the carb load/ insulin dosages , the more room there is for error with resultant hypo/ hyper.

That has been my experience anyway .

Signy

Thanks for the response Signy

Reactions: 2 people