Breaded Fish Query

NostalgicNeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
I have been recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. As a result of this, I have changed my diet. Initially I was eating turkey mince, but now I am eating two pieces of breaded fish and peas for my dinner. Is the breaded fish particularly bad for me? It is quality fish from M&S as opposed to a very small amount of fish that is heavily breaded. I only have two other light snacks in the day. They'll be nuts and a spinach, celery and cucumber smoothie. No carbs in the smoothie.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It will list the amount of carbs in, or rather on your fish on the package, it's the total amount of carbs you're interested in not the of which are sugar's figure which is meaningless.
Fish not covered in carbs and who knows what else in the way of colouring, would obviously be preferable, but let your meter decide if its OK for you.
My choice would be just plain fish with salad, or some fresh buttered veg

NostalgicNeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
It will list the amount of carbs in, or rather on your fish on the package, it's the total amount of carbs you're interested in not the of which are sugar's figure which is meaningless.
Fish not covered in carbs and who knows what else in the way of colouring, would obviously be preferable, but let your meter decide if its OK for you.
My choice would be just plain fish with salad, or some fresh buttered veg
It appears to be 14.6g per 100g. Would that be classed as a lot?

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the peas are moderately high carbs as well - depending how many you are having you could be adding another 10 -15 carbs per meal. The fish is healthy but better without the breadcrumbs and from a low carb perspective the turkey was better still. When I first found out I was prediabetic I panicked [fairly normal response] but best just making sensible changes to your diet and reduce the carbs rather than starve yourself - you can't maintain that for the rest of your life.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd opt for turkey mince instead of breaded fish, or salmon steaks with lemon juice, and avoid the peas. Try green veg such as broccoli, spinach, green beans, and cabbage.

Even green veg have a few carbs in them, but less than peas.
Nuts are generally OK as long as you don't eat huge amounts but some are higher carb than others.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you using a blood glucose meter to test your levels after eating the breaded fish, @NostalgicNeg ?
That would give the best indication of whether there was too much carb content for you.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
A teaspoon of sugar is 4g of carbs, so your fish coated in 40g of carbs
would be the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar.
Just a piece of fish has no carbs, no sugar

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is well outside the level I allow - I really like the various fish I can get frozen in Lidl - it is good value as it is all fish, no cheap additives, and I seem to be thriving.
I buy meat, fish, eggs, cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt - also in the frozen aisle I get mixed veges and the two lowest carb flavoured/themed stirfy and mixed berries - I get fresh salad, swede and other low carb veges.
I don't make smoothies as the carbs are instantly available, even though the ingredients are low carb. I have read that it is easy to overdose on oxalates in smoothies - I don't know how much spinach you use, but it might be wise to be cautious.