breakfast and bs levels

rexel

I cut up a orange with afew strawberrys and few blueberries toped by low fat yogurt in morning and have two weatbix with flaxseed in morning am I eating wrong foods.will this put up my blood sugar levels

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The only way to know that is to test 2 hours after eating. My friend can eat Weetabix, but I cant. Oranges are a no no too.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You'd be better off with natural full fat Greek yoghurt than low fat, the latter has elevated sugar. Check food labels and aim for 5g or less per 100g of carbohydrate, which for us might as well read sugar.

Get a copy of 'Carbs and Cals' if you can, it gives the numbers for all sorts of foods and meals.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
The only way to know that is to test 2 hours after eating. My friend can eat Weetabix, but I cant. Oranges are a no no too.
This is something I can't quite get to grips with. Does it not matter how high the peak was, or only what it has come down to after 2 hours?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I tend to have full fat greek yog with a few berries. Right now I am cooking some cheese and bacon mini (no pastry) quiches, I intend to have 2 a day this week for breakfast. Yum.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I just cut up bacon and fry, then divide that between 12 holes in my muffin tin, then whisk 8 eggs with maybe 100ml (i dont measure) of double cream or full fat lactofree milk, whichever I have to hand. then pour that over the bacon, then top generously with grated cheese. Cook for about 15-20 mins.

Reactions: 10 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I just cut up bacon and fry, then divide that between 12 holes in my muffin tin, then whisk 8 eggs with maybe 100ml (i dont measure) of double cream or full fat lactofree milk, whichever I have to hand. then pour that over the bacon, then top generously with grated cheese. Cook for about 15-20 mins.
Do they keep well? Do you eat them cold?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often make a crustless quiche along similar lines.. I line quiche dish with ham slices to make a fake pastry bottom then fill with lightly after red onions, mushrooms, bacon, or whatever veg takes your fancy. Whisk three eggs with a small tub cottage cheese or quark , load of grated cheese and season well. Pour over filling even out top with sliced tomatoes and a sprinkle of cheese and bake till lightly brown and firm to touch. Lovely with salad when warm and I've eaten it next day as breakfast.

Reactions: 11 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I do tend to have them cold but could easily heat for a few seconds in the microwave. I keep them in the fridge and they do keep, ive noticed by the fourth day the top goes a little gooey but still taste good and never given me a problem. They only lasted me 6 days because I was strict on myself. They are very tasty. Im thinking I might not be so strict and then I'll have yog and berries thurs and fri.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

They sound yummy will give those a go myself Sometime I struggle with breakfast ideas I can't eat the berries and yogurt in the morning I have to have something savory

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like

I must try that. I am feeling a bit lost with ideas for breakfast. I can eat oatmeal porridge with a dollop of yogurt (no spikes) and sometimes I have scrambled eggs, bacon, tomatoes, etc. or pancake (ground almonds, oatmeal, desiccated coconut), but oftentimes I don't fancy any of these and need more variety.

I so much miss my weetabix :(

Reactions: 2 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Mmm, sounds delish :) I'm looking for some low-carb ideas for breakfast, I need to lose about a stone and this sounds perfect. Thanks for the idea!

A

AnnieC

I tend to have full fat greek yog with a few berries. Right now I am cooking some cheese and bacon mini (no pastry) quiches, I intend to have 2 a day this week for breakfast. Yum.

I have just made some of these with hot dog sausage mushrooms spinach and cheese and others with bacon ham onion and cheese and they look so good I can't wait to have them for breakfast tomorrow thanks Lenny3 for such a fab idea...I will freeze some

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have just made some of these with hot dog sausage mushrooms spinach and cheese and others with bacon ham onion and cheese and they look so good I can't wait to have them for breakfast tomorrow thanks Lenny3 for such a fab idea...I will freeze some

I haven't tried freezing any yet so let me know if they defrost ok. Then I'll make a couple of batches at a time.

A

AnnieC

I haven't tried freezing any yet so let me know if they defrost ok. Then I'll make a couple of batches at a time.
I( will eat the ones in the fridge up first then defrost the others to see how they are. Just had two with tomato, cucumber and half an avocado for breakfast really tasty and made a nice change from scrambled or poached egg