Breakfast spikes

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been wearing a Libre for just over a week and it’s opened my eyes to a pattern I was not aware of at all. I’d like some ideas from all you lovely people as to what I might do about this.

I eat the same thing for breakfast every weekday at about 7:10. I then set off for work straight afterwards, arriving about 8:45. I’ve always done a 2 hour after test at about 9:10, but now with the Libre I can see what’s been happening in the interim – a huge spike! I’m usually around 6mmol/L before breakfast, rising sharply to around 15 an hour afterwards and then dropping quickly back down – 2 hours afterwards is generally around 9. This explains why I sometimes felt I was getting odd results on my 2 hour test – the drop is so sharp that testing a few minutes early or late makes a big difference in the result.

So what do I do with this information? I’ve had a few ideas:
  • Take my bolus earlier? Possible issue if I start to drop before the food kicks in because I need to be above 5 to drive to work
  • Eat something different that’s not so spiky, needs to be quick to prepare though because I don’t have much time in the morning
Anything else you might suggest I try?

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is it you eat? I would also consider not eating items that are 'spikey' :)

for general spiking, getting the insulin in well before eating can tackle them, start with 10 minutes before eating, then increase until you find a time that keep your spike down to a minimum........

the sharp drop is curious though......I would expect to be down to the food your eating as opposed to an effect from the insulin, bolus or basal......

the basal has a relatively flat profile so I wouldn't expect it to cause a sharp drop.....

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For breakfast I need to pre-bolus by about 45 minutes. I don't advise that if you're driving straight after.... But 15 minutes before might help a bit?

This is why I get up and drive to work then eat breakfast at my desk lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Novo & Hale say, try injecting well ahead of your food to allow the insulin to work before the food digests, I try and inject 15 mins before my breakfast (which is porridge, seeds, blueberries & yogurt) and don't see a postprandial rise anywhere near what you see.

Also try not to eat 'spiky' food and eat those that are lower on the glycemic index, failing that you might want to try a low-carb breakfast (say scrambled eggs for example) and see how you get on with that, the likelihood is you'll still need to bolus but by how much will be trial & error.

Gary Scheiner has an article called Strile the Spike which offers some good advice on postprandial bg spikes, here it is if you want to have a read of it:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/high-blood-glucose/strike-the-spike-ii/all/

Reactions: 3 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment it's an oat based cereal but perhaps I'll have to switch to proper porridge. Also definitely going to try and take my bolus 15 minutes early, see if that helps.

Thanks for the article @noblehead I'll have a read and see what else I can do.

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arrrgh that's the second time I've got those the wrong way round (I take the right one don't worry, just call it the wrong name!)

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I stopped eating cereals a while ago full of sugar- for low fat read high sugar all processed too - blasted low fat manufacturers.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
To b honest I do eat the 2 min microwave oats, with a teaspoon of manuka lush.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
At the moment it's an oat based cereal but perhaps I'll have to switch to proper porridge. Also definitely going to try and take my bolus 15 minutes early, see if that helps.

Thanks for the article @noblehead I'll have a read and see what else I can do.

The more processed the oats the harder it will hit will effect your bg levels, so oat cereals like Ready Brek are more likely to cause a postprandial spikes than other varieties.

Look for Jumbo, Steel-Cut or Rough-Cut oats that are slower to digest, if you add some seeds in with the porridge this will also help slow down the absorption due to the fat content of the seeds, I use both seeds and natural yogurt in my morning porridge with a small handful of blueberries.

This article discusses the health benefits of a daily bowl of porridge:

http://porridgeclub.wordpress.com/dr-oats/

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped eating cereals a while ago full of sugar- for low fat read high sugar all processed too - blasted low fat manufacturers.
Some people eat a sort of nut/seed porridge. I'm trying this today. Small handful of seeds including flax seeds, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame (I just bought a packet of each), plus almonds chopped up, and CREAM
!! !! (I love cream.) looks like 13g carb as far as I can see. Extremely filling and no spike potential.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I noticed the exact same thing on my Libre. And for me it’s porridge! I’ve been gradually increasing the time between injection and food and today, so far, I haven’t spiked and I injected 15 minutes before

Reactions: 3 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried the 15 minute advance of the insulin today - still got a big ol spike, but not quite as bad. Going to try a combo of yoghurt, nuts, seeds and berries for breakfast instead next week and see what that does.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a fairly heavy spike after breakfast, I now eat porridge made with soya milk (not normal milk) and that seems to have sorted it (along with having insulin a few minutes before I eat). Doesn't taste half as nice though!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I used to have a fairly heavy spike after breakfast, I now eat porridge made with soya milk (not normal milk) and that seems to have sorted it (along with having insulin a few minutes before I eat). Doesn't taste half as nice though!

I've tried Soya milk and can't stand it, Lactofree milk has has around half the carbs as standard milk and tastes no different.

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arrrgh that's the second time I've got those the wrong way round (I take the right one don't worry, just call it the wrong name!)[/tatted QUOTE]

I used to do that and then i started remembering it as background for basal as in the both start with BA...

Good luck with the spikes I have the same problem all day long and still haven't found a solution. Low carb is the only thing that's working ! :)