Breakfast

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's everyone's breakfast recommendations? Any favourites? Anything easy and quick to make before you leave for work?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs cooked any which way, with bacon if you have time, cold meats, last night's left overs, plain full fat yogurt with a few berries, coffee with cream.

Does that help?

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs cooked any which way, with bacon if you have time, cold meats, last night's left overs, plain full fat yogurt with a few berries, coffee with cream.

Does that help?
Great thanks! Any coffee in particular? And cream as a sugar substitute?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't had breakfast since diagnosis.. just a mug of tea or two with lactofree milk.. a coffee at 11 a.m. with double cream then lunch if not fasting..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thanks! Any coffee in particular? And cream as a sugar substitute?

Any coffee will do, but I stick to decaf personally. Double cream will sweeten it. That is all I have for breakfast and it keeps me full till lunch time.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just spent a few days watching the effect of my old favourite wholewheat cereal breakfast with fruit and a little milk on my sugar. Even with tiny portions (why even bother?) I got a spike. The last couple of days its been eggs, with ham or cheese and a tomato. Bingo! This morning levels 5.4 before breakfast, 5.4 2 hours later. That will do for me! Today I had a cup of tea, but often its just water. No hunger before lunch and its quick and easy.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me a favourite of late is a bowl of the following: greek yoghurt (containing probiotics), homemade granola (basically large porridge oats baked in the oven with nuts and drizzled with a drop of honey), berries (smashed into the yoghurt), sliced banana, and a few more nuts and seeds on top.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me a favourite of late is a bowl of the following: greek yoghurt (containing probiotics), homemade granola (basically large porridge oats baked in the oven with nuts and drizzled with a drop of honey), berries (smashed into the yoghurt), sliced banana, and a few more nuts and seeds on top.

Enjoy!

This sounds delicious, if you happen to be a T1. ;) Sadly, we T2's couldn't eat this without spiking to the heavens. @spaxman is a newly diagnosed T2 not on insulin.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally have a cup of fresh coffee with double cream. I might have some salami and some cheese. If I have more time - poached egg on ham, fried egg & bacon, ham omelette.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just spent a few days watching the effect of my old favourite wholewheat cereal breakfast with fruit and a little milk on my sugar. Even with tiny portions (why even bother?) I got a spike. The last couple of days its been eggs, with ham or cheese and a tomato. Bingo! This morning levels 5.4 before breakfast, 5.4 2 hours later. That will do for me! Today I had a cup of tea, but often its just water. No hunger before lunch and its quick and easy.

Thank you!

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mon- Thursday when at work I have porridge. fri-sun eggs,bacon, sausages,mushrooms, avocado or eggs and smoked salmon and avocado

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is porridge any good, or is it not recommended?

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mon- Thursday when at work I have porridge. fri-sun eggs,bacon, sausages,mushrooms, avocado or eggs and smoked salmon and avocado

Sounds right up my street! Porridge ok for LCHF?

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's about the only carb I have and I think if you have the proper porridge oats it's ok as it's slow release. It probably depends on whether you are prepared to have small amount of carbs.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's about the only carb I have and I think if you have the proper porridge oats it's ok as it's slow release. It probably depends on whether you are prepared to have small amount of carbs.

Thank you Julia

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some people can handle small amounts of porridge others can't you will have to test to find out what group you are in. I some times have scrambled egg with salmon, or cheese.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people can handle small amounts of porridge others can't you will have to test to find out what group you are in. I some times have scrambled egg with salmon, or cheese.

Thanks John