breakfast

saffy

Hi its me back....i am really struggling with breakfast....i cant eat cereal/bread...proved not good for me as my BGs zoom up...bananas the same ...i had scrambled eggs to-day 2 hrs later 8.4..alot better than with the others...but cant face it everyday..also can not having enough to eat at meals affect BGs..maybe im not eating enough !!advise please....Saffy :)

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Saffy,

Breakfast is the achilles heel of the low-carb lifestyle for many people! I love my scrambled eggs and bacon, but I know many people can't face it first thing. There are lots of alternatives, though.

How about cold sliced meat, cheese, olives, natural yogurt, miso soup, tinned salmon, tuna or mackerel, leaf salads, nuts etc. Perhaps not al at the same time, but there are lots of permutations.

It's important to eat first thing, I think, otherwise it's too easy to eat inappropriately later in the day.

I make a very low carbohydrate bread which is delicious and stays fresh for days. Very handy in a rush first thing. Whereas supermarket loaves can have 16g carbs and 4g protein per 40g slice, mine has 2g carbs and 15g protein! It has a negligable effect on my blood sugar and it's very tasty too. I'll happily give you the recipe if you like?

All the best,

fergusc

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
And me please Fergus!!

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sorry, guys, I've kept you waiting long enough. Hungry?

I'd actually completely stopped eating bread some time ago and eventually stopped missing it too. Curiosity got the better of me one day, I started experimenting with some low-carb ingredients and came up with this. I think it's fab, particularly fresh out of the oven with far too much butter. Seriously, a couple of slices of this barely shifts my blood sugar at all.

You'll need: wheat gluten, coarse wheat bran, golden flax seeds (linseed), soya flour, soya protein isolate powder, salt, olive oil and yeast. Once you've got all that, the rest is a doddle.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl - 120g wheat gluten, 45g soya flour, 40g soya protein isolate powder, 30g linseeds, 60g coarse wheat bran, 1 level tsp of salt and 2x7g packets of dried yeast ( I find the Hovis stuff works well.) Add 3 tbsp of olive oil and 250ml warm water. Knead it for a minute or two then push it into a loaf tin, cover, and leave it somewhere warm for an hour. Then bake for 40 mins at 170 in a fan assisted oven.

I find this loaf will stay fresh and moist for days, and everyone who has tried it tells me it's great. Even my kids scoff it down, which gives me such a thrill.

I hope you like it too. Let me know if you do, because I'd like to sell it locally and I'd be grateful for any endorsements!

All the best,

fergusc

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Junieliz,

I don't have a breadmaker, cos I didn't eat bread until a few weeks ago! I make the bread by hand, but if your machine can do it, so much the better.

Let me know if it works,

fergusc

junieliz

Hi Fergus, do you get ingredients for the bread from health shop as I have tried usual Tesco and Sainsbury's, thanks again junieliz

Silvercat

I looked at Holland and Barrett online and cant see the products there either. Any suggestions as to where to get them would be much appreciated.

Everything can be got at Holland & Barratt. The wheat gluten powder I get online from the UK Low Carb Megastore. My local health food shop always has wheat bran, linseed, soya flour, yeast, so it should be easy enough to find.

Good luck, and happy baking!

fergusc

coylie

when i cook for the family on a sunday morning i poach my eggs and grill everything else .
Also I use a sliced loaf called Burgen it has a low GI/GL rating and tastes good to. which helps.
a quick breakfast before work is a problem but u can't beat a good bowl of porridge and they do a brown sweetner which mimics brown sugar if you struggle with your sweet tooth. :D

Poppy123

Well, having finally got all the ingredients together to try the bread recipe, I gave it a go in the breadmaker. Used rapid...and it was a disaster. I knew I should have used the hand method but was persuaded by hubby that this way would be easier, NOT. The bread never rose at all, in fact where the blade goes round in the middle, it was sunken, and came out resembling something between crispbread texture and porrige cooked until dead. I have to ask, should there have been a tad of sugar in the recipe for the yeast to work on?

Anyway, I have masses of ingredients left for my next trial, (but it wont be in the machine). Did I really need the isolate powder in such a huge drum?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sorry Poppy, now I feel really guilty!

I just made another loaf this morning, and it came out really well. I did mix it my hand though, so perhaps that is the best way after all, and maybe you've saved me the price of a bread machine!

It doesn't require much kneading, maybe a couple of minutes only. What I find works best is to roll the dough into a sausage shape, long enough to fit into a 1lb bread tin, then cover it and leave it somewhere nice and warm for about an hour. It should rise a little at least. Then 40-45 minutes at 170 degreees in a fan oven should give you a perfect loaf. Don't give up, I promise you'll enjoy it when it works!

You were joking about the 'tad of sugar', right?

All the best,

fergus

Poppy123

No, I wasn't joking about the sugar actually, because the yeast should eat all of the sugar. I am sure I read that somewhere