Breakthrough in my bloodsugar control

adam_abach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and have for years used insulin for the three meals and slow working insulin before going to bed. That is I believe the classic pattern. Lately I've had some problems with this set up, probably because my own insulin production has tapered off. I've been too high during the day, and woken up very early in the mornings, nice on work days, but not on weekends.

After borrowing a continuous glucose measuring device, I discovered that I was too low at 2-4 am, despite my evening and morning measurements were OK. As those that have read my book will know, I've tested and tried many things. But here I was in a dilemma, if I used less Insulatard for the night, I slept better, but was too high in the morning and during the day. And if I used more to help keep bloodsugar down during the day, I would be too low during the night (and not know it) and wake up too early.

Thinking out of the box, I've tried to take the Insulatard with the evening meal, not good, and later I tried to take it at lunchtime. None of those worked for me. Finally I tried to take Insulatard in the morning. I hadn't high hopes for it, because Insulatard was supposed to help me at night primarily, and to then take it so long time before going to sleep, seemed counter intuitive.

But it works. The morning Insulatard helps me all day to keep the bloodsugar levels down. I've had to reduce my dose at all three meals just a bit. And I sleep a lot better, probably an hour longer on weekends. And I wake up happier. I know that the latter is quite unscientific, and I won’t claim that it is an effect of this change. But I do wake up happier, not the same slight nervousness about the coming day that I often had the first 15-20 minutes every morning before.

My own graphs over my measurements show a significant reduction in averages and standard variations as well.

A win-win for me. :thumbup:

If you want to try it, remember to contact your medical advisor first, it may have a different effect on you. Thanks.

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
:) sounds like you have it under control I work nightshift long acting at 9pm always bloods fine when I'm working but high on days off might try long acting in the morning for a week can't hurt to try :)

adam_abach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be hard to get it right when sometimes working nights...

As an added info, I'm currently experimenting with increasing the morning Insulatard by 1 unit every 2 weeks. I'll continue until I get too many lows...