Brisk Walking - daily exercise

AaLF

I head off for a brisk walk almost every morning. But I'm still in the early habit stage. Is there an optimum time to be out walking? I've googled plenty and the answers vary from 30 minutes to one hour (at a solid pace/ not strolling). The 30 minutes theory is that beyond thirty minutes the benefit to effort ratio dives & you gain little by pressing on beyond thirty minutes. Then there is 45 minute time - nominated in dieting websites as the recommended daily dose. One hour supporters say every 2nd day only.

Do we have any walkaholics here who care to toss in their penny's worth on best practice for brisk walking for health etc plz?

Reactions: Victor vikrant

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I seem to remember a study from Copenhagen that said 20 mins of walking after a meal reduced T2 levels significantly.

Reactions: Ponchu

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walk to school (where I work) each morning (and back) which is approx. 20 minutes each way, this seems like a nice time to go (around 7.30am) the sun is just rising and sets me up for the day. Even at weekends, I will go for a walk first thing, it seems to energise me for the day rather than going later.

Reactions: Sue192

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the word 'brisk' that I have a bit of trouble with... ;)

I do approx an hour every day (weather permitting, because I ain't bringing home soaked dogs who then take 4-5 hours to dry) but the whole brisk thing is a barrier due to the endless sniffage. And I view their sniffing at least as important as my briskness.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous

I do approx an hour every day (weather permitting, because I ain't bringing home soaked dogs who then take 4-5 hours to dry) but the whole brisk thing is a barrier due to the endless sniffage. And I view their sniffing at least as important as my briskness.
Well I think you should be doing star jumps whilst the dogs are having a sniff about.....

Reactions: paulmh and ringi

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always gone for an hour first thing, then a couple of half hour ones after meals, unless I've played golf, when the half hour ones get dumped.

As a type 1, the difference is noticeable in insulin usage whereby breakfast and lunch, usually 30 to 40 grams of carbs, require no insulin, my basal has reduced considerably. Evening meal insulin use is a touch higher which I put down to the Lantus running out of steam by then.

I'd also say, that it's more of a steady amble than brisk walking, 3 miles an hour seems optimum.

D

Deleted Account

What is your reason for walking?
General fitness?
Reducing BG?
Losing weight?
Getting you out of the house?
Enjoying the fresh air?
Having some "me time"?
Putting life to one side (not necessarily by yourself)?
Releasing endorphins? (Or something like that)

There are many reasons for exercise and the rule of thumb I always use is to do as much as you enjoy doing of what you enjoy doing. Sure, walking is good but if you are the type of person who will use the weather as an excuse, it may not work for you and you may be better joining a dance class, for example.

I am a binge walker - I can do 3,000 steps for 3 or 4 days and then do 35,000 steps on a Saturday. There again, I also go to the gym and climbing and sometimes cycling. This is because I enjoy variety and would not do it if it was a chore. I also hate sitting still so one of my reasons for exercise is because I feel mentally better for it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Apart from on holidays most of my walking is with my dog, so brisk is a problem due to sniffage (excellent word @Brunneria) but some days we include steep hills so I hope that effort compensates for lack of speed.

S

Sean01

I head off for a brisk walk almost every morning. But I'm still in the early habit stage. Is there an optimum time to be out walking? I've googled plenty and the answers vary from 30 minutes to one hour (at a solid pace/ not strolling). The 30 minutes theory is that beyond thirty minutes the benefit to effort ratio dives & you gain little by pressing on beyond thirty minutes. Then there is 45 minute time - nominated in dieting websites as the recommended daily dose. One hour supporters say every 2nd day only.

Do we have any walkaholics here who care to toss in their penny's worth on best practice for brisk walking for health etc plz?

I was on crutches for 3 years - then one day, I walked a very painful 10 meters on a treadmill and about one year later I did the first 17 miles of the Loch Ness marathon. The following year (2012) i was the last man to cross the finish line - 7 hrs 24 - easy to find me on the results page!!)

I've been T2 since Oct 15. I make sure I walk at least 20-30 minutes on a treadmill every day at a brisk walking pace and up hill. It is sooooooooo good for managing blood sugar and ill also lead to weight loss - best time of day - I'm an early morning person, but after lunch or the evening meal will help with blood sugar management. At the end of the day - you will find out what works best fro you - now a tip to help with the habit forming:

There is a facebook page called Janathon - multi shaded blue circles with a cartoon runner - all in blue. The objective - join in (it's free) exercise everyday, what ever floats your boat, but, and here's the important bit, post something humorous about what you did, or just post it. Acknowledge the effort of others and they will acknowledge yours - try to do something for 31 days - It starts on New Year's Day. There are marathon runners and ultra athletes and theer are couch potatoes (I'm sure, last year, somebody posted that they ironed and window shopped!!!! but they were active and that's the point - join in it's fun and after 31 days - you will have your habit sorted out.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Sean

Reactions: Dearbhla and Ponchu

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently decided my optimum for blood sugars is half an hour's brisk walk sometime after every meal. Less than that and I see no benefit at all.

I get antsy if I've not walked for at least a couple of hours most days which, luckily, is my walk to and from work. I almost invariably walk to work, but the walk home depends on blood sugars, so I'm more likely to do half an hour then and make up the rest after my evening meal. So, 6 miles or so, about 14,000 steps as a minimum most days - add on the 7,000 - 10,000 steps I do around my workplace and I reckon I do 22,000 steps most days.

On a long walk day, which I reckon is more than 12 miles, my insulin needs are minimal if my carbs are under 50g per meal.

Reactions: Dearbhla

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm not "power walking" at the moment but I have found that choosing a distance then trying to improve my time has worked for me in the past.

My choice was 4 miles and my aim was to break 1 hour for the circular course. That is, maintain an average of 4 mph which I understand is considered a brisk walking pace.

If I am doing that kind of planned exercise then I find that doing it first thing in the morning works for me. Before I can find any excuses for not doing it later in the day.

I have to be careful because if I try too hard I knacker my feet and my knees.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not always possible to take a walk outside, but there are many ways that we can incorporate walking into our daily lives. The benefits of walking in the morning include:

- Physical health: it improves circulation, strengthens the immune system, and helps with weight management

- Mental health: it boosts creativity and mood

- Environmental health: it reduces carbon emissions and promotes sustainability

- Social health: it improves communication skills and fosters relationships with others

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Fathead100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I.love walking and do 5 or 6 miles as often as I can depending on what I'm doing but find early morning about 6am is best for me good for body and mind planning on getting some weights or running machine for days indoors or if I'm working early morning

• Optimistic

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love walking also, and try to walk 20 to 30 minutes after each meal. I start working next week so will be walking to and from work most days unless it's just too yucky outside.

• Optimistic