Broccoli...

My boyfriend is type 1, only had diabetes for 3 years (he is 25) and he does have struggle with his levels, but is getting better. He is part of the DAPHNE course so this is helping him out a bit. He can't cook etc... so am trying to help him out and maybe encourage him to eat some foods which he might benefit from!

So he mentioned Broccoli - Am I right in saying this is good to incorporate in a diabetics diet?
Again cinnamon? In what form?

I was thinking smoothie it all together!!
I know these things aren't guaranteed to help out, but I am sure he (and I) could do with some extra vitamins anyway!

Any suggestions?

(I know I have posted this in the expert forum, but thought I would post it in food too! I am new to this)

saz1

Broccoli is very good for you and your BF since it is a vegetable with minimal effect on blood sugars and it's full of vitamins and minerals too. I have never tried it in a smoothie but it makes a mean soup with a bit of cheese and a fantastic side dish for you main course.

It sounds like your boyfriend really needs to learn to cook too, in my mind it would make his and yours lives so much easier... It would help him understand and manage his condition so much better as well. But then I do understand young men and it's not that easy. He is very lucky to have you helping him out! :wink:

Thank you for your reply!

I know, he does need to learn to cook but as you said, being a young man (I am not talking for all men here) he can't be bothered!! He just needs a kick up the butt and he will be fine!!

Well I will try broccoli soup then - with his help!! :?
I have been looking into broccolli smoothies too! I'm sure he will love me!

saz1

I make broccoli soup with 1 onion, 1 big head of broccoli, good handful of grated cheese and a splash of cream. I cook the broccoli stalk as thin slices with onion first since it takes longer to cook, add the florets for few minutes with chese and cream and finally blitz it all up. It is absolutely yummy! :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
im 25... been diagnosed coming up 3 years now...

i love broccoli! it's tastey and good for you, and also promotes self repair of damaged blood vessel (a little bit, but you know what they say, every little helps!).

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
broccoli is one of my favourites mmmmmmmmm, ive even been known to eat it raw :D

candy1567

I just luv broccoli, but have a prob tryin to eat it as my dog also luv's any kind of vege especially cauli leaves and broccoli and helps himself to the vege rack as he goes past!!!!

He also pinches the potatoes and mushrooms its worse than havin a child sometimes, i even asked the vet as i was worried he might have a vitamin dificiency but the vet said he was healthy and although its not a recommended diet for dogs its doin him no harm (yes he also had dog food when we can get him to leave the vege alone, he also eats fruit hes one funny animal

Juliexx

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I'm going to be the doom-monger here, but I really don't like broccoli as a rule. To me the texture is like sucking a wet jersey :( . However, the good news is that one time staying at a little farm hotel in Avignon they served us broccoli as one of the vegetables with our meal. It had been cooked until tender, mashed, then a teaspoonful of freshly ground black pepper and a good splash of double cream was added. The dish was then stirred until well mixed, then served on the plate. It is so good that I always cook broccoli this way. Well, worth trying.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I love broccoli and always steam it. I use one of those steamers which sit on top of a pan of boiling water. You can put several different veggies in at once and they stay separate. Broccoli is an excellent source of dietary fibre( roughage). It prevents constipation! :oops: Theere are a few minerals and vitamins too. It's nice with melted butter too.