Broken ankle causing highs, for how long?

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've broken my ankle in 2 places, and got a badly sprained wrist with much bruising . The swelling is reduced now, but I've had lots of high blood tests, and pain. It's been a week now. Just wondering how long the break may be causing the spikes?
I've been T1 for over 50 years, but not managed to break anything lately.
(Last broken bone was many years ago before I started testing blood sugars, so no idea what was going on at that time)
Thanks for advice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So sorry to hear that news @Deb1million

Difficult to say how long the spikes will last for, sure once the pain subsides your bg levels will return to normal, in the mean-time just keep following the Sick Day Rules. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Deb1million

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oo ow, hope you're doing ok, that sounds really nasty. Poor you.

I suspect highs are being caused by pain and shock and inflammation. Certainly while it's hurting you can probably expect it to cause highs.

Are you on a pump or what basal are you using? You might consider increasing basal, but go cautious with that because you don't want to celebrate resolving pain with a crashing low.

Other than that, sick day rules are a good call. Here's a good guide - http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1_Sickdays_LDC_JAN2015.pdf

Hope you're being looked after. Feel better soon.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Deb1million I presume, as you've sprained your wrist, your not using crutches at the moment, so you'll most likely be using less energy than usual. This could also be adding to your high BGs.

Take care of yourself, you'll find a pattern in time and can adjust insulin where appropriate.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'm on mdi and frequent finger prick testing. I'm trying to keep stable, as I have a lot of other autoimmune conditions as well as the diabetes. I'm able to adjust my insulin, Lantus and humalog, depending on blood tests.
I've recently moved, and getting used to a new diabetes care team, they seem really good so far, and have asked me to consider a pump, so I'm thinking about it.
The fracture has caused me to be far less active/mobile, and that's not helping the bloods, and eat when Im bored.