Bruised injection sites or pressure bruises

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

Today I have just realised that I have a bruised slightly hardened area at the top of my legs where I take my levemir. I have only switched to levemir from glargine as my long acting insulin the the past 4-5 weeks. I'm also 35 weeks pregnant and finding sleeping very tough due to soreness on the pressure points on my legs where I have to lie on my side and muscle spasms in one leg.

Anyway I'm wondering if you think the areas are a insulin issue or a pressure issue? I'm going to call my midwife tomorrow when I grab a chance but wondered whether anyone had a similar experience.

Thank you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Catherine4188 ,

Bit of a silly question.. Are you banging it in with a full on press of the pen button? Or a slower action..?
Another stupid question (while I'm here.) do you "pinch up?"

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No I'm quite gentle with putting the needle in and then just click slowly. Also I don't pinch the skin. Never had any issues previous to this, I've had the odd small bruise on my stomach from novorapid injections where I've knocked the pen which injecting but they were only the side of a 1p. These are about 4cm
Or so across.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I'm quite gentle with putting the needle in and then just click slowly. Also I don't pinch the skin. Never had any issues previous to this, I've had the odd small bruise on my stomach from novorapid injections where I've knocked the pen which injecting but they were only the side of a 1p. These are about 4cm
Or so across.

Hi again.. I'm glad you got my terminology.. (Wipes my brow.) :)

You could try pinching up, & see if that helps..?
Another thought comes to mind. (But probably irelivant.) do you inject your basal straight from the fridge.. (I know with Lantus it normally just stings.) but the Levemir dose may react differently to quick temperature changes out of the cartridge & under the skin..?
Just throwing it out "there."

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies. I keep my levemir pen in my insulin kit pouch, so at room temp. Only thing I can think is it's a combo of injection site and pressure points. X

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I keep my levemir pen in my insulin kit pouch, so at room temp. Only thing I can think is it's a combo of injection site and pressure points. X

I personally don't suffer much from the issue.
Though I empathise when it happens.
I do know some use the bottom as a basal site. Which works for them!

Edit; what I'll do is tag in a few others that my have had issue & ideas to resolve this..
@donnellysdogs @mahola @Snapsy @Fairygodmother ..

Congratulations on your pregnacy by the way.! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Catherine4188

leahkian

I used to suffer from bruises and a lump on my leg as it was the only place that i would inject but if you change your sites then there should not be a problem. Do you take asprin or any other blood thinning tablets as they can cause bruises.