Bruises after injecting insulin why.

Colourfull500

Hi to all,

Why do I get bruises after injecting insulin they dont look nice.
I have a diabetes appointment on 26th of June.....
I have lost more weight but need to loose more.
I have an appointment to see ra consultant can you have ra really painfull joints allover and fatigue too.
why is diabetes so hard to control eating healthily and still bs goes up.

I had a great holiday in ireland apart from leaving my phone in the airport when getting my travel luggage lables.

Colourfull500.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had type 2 diabetes and used insulin for most of it and that's 25 years and I find if you use your stomach it's not as painful but if I hit a small blood vessel I get a little bit of blood and I get a bruise but that is nothing to worry about as I get bruised if I hit the wrong spot or inject into the same spot as the last one and that you will get a small lump and takes a few days to go away and them you can feel when you do inject into the same spot but as for bruises it's just one of those things as you can't do anything about except try to slip the needle in gently and slowly and don't pinch the skin as you will have been told to pinch the skin by the nurse and doctor but I find that I don't get many bruises when I don't pinch the skin and slip the needle in slow and gently and that will help you and the leg is where it hurts more and I don't use them much but when I I do I get bruises there and I leave it for a while before I go back to the legs again but your stomach is the best place to inject into and I just think of it as your behind and that way you have both sides to use if that is any help for you

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to all,

Why do I get bruises after injecting insulin they dont look nice.
I have a diabetes appointment on 26th of June.....
I have lost more weight but need to loose more.
I have an appointment to see ra consultant can you have ra really painfull joints allover and fatigue too.
why is diabetes so hard to control eating healthily and still bs goes up.

I had a great holiday in ireland apart from leaving my phone in the airport when getting my travel luggage lables.

Colourfull500.

Hello, you’ll need to ask your team to see a dietitian for carb counting or get you on a carb counting course for dose adjustments so you have better control.

As for injections - make sure it’s the juicy part of your stomach, legs and buttocks. If it’s arms, I was told the bingo wings is good. Make sure you alternate areas and the needle length is 4-5mm.
I’m not sure about joint pain but as for fatigue, diabetes plays a part but it gets better when your BG is better. You could ask for a blood test to make sure your vitamin levels are okay to rule out any other issues.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi,

Jordi77 covered a lot of very useful information. One extra thing which affects me is how quickly I inject my insulin. Especially when I have to do my Basal injection which is 36 units.

If you only take small amounts of insulin then speed probably won't make much difference.

Still, it might be worth a try.

I have learnt from Jordi77 that sliding the needle in slowly helps.

That's the best thing about this forum. No matter how much you think you know, there is always something new to discover from another Diabetic Buddy.

Good luck

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take 5 injections a day and that consists of 2 in the morning and 3 for the rest of the day and I can tell you that I have tried all of the meds for type 2 diabetes and the only thing that seems to work for me is insulin but I was on 4 injections a day but I had a slight reaction to the night time injection and I spoke to my dsn and they changed it all around to split the night time one to 2 and now I don't get the problem but I have to use 2 needles as I have tried 1 and it give me a big bruise so I use 1 needle for 1 injection as if you use the same needle over and over again it will give you a bruise and make you bleed and that you can do without and don't store your insulin pen with the needle attached as it's a easy way to get a air bubble inside it and can make the insulin go off as that's happened to me before when I started to use insulin and it went a funny colour and I was using a clear insulin and not the mixture as you can get either