Bruises

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happens to me occasionally, clears up by itself just like other bruises.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So there isn’t a cream you recommend? Or even putting E45 cream on it? I live in the UK by the way.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t put anything on the bruises from injecting. I guess it’s because the bruise is so localised that it doesn’t hurt - it is just caused by catching a blood vessel when injecting. I avoid injecting in the area until the bruise goes which is typically just a few days.

For more severe bruises, I may use arnica cream but definitely not E45 which is used for dry skin and itchiness.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So there isn’t a cream you recommend? Or even putting E45 cream on it? I live in the UK by the way.
Um, no.
A bruise lies below your skin, a cream lies on top of it.
So I've never seen the logic in applying cream to bruises.

Mind, this is only my own logic so I might be completely wrong.
Do the bruises bother you?
If you don't want them visible, make-up may be the solution. :)

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s quite a dark red/purple colour. I think it’s just cause it’s the first time it’s happened that I was curious about what the reason was and if it was normal.

Reactions: Antje77

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
this is absolutely normal :)
IMG_20230225_094240.jpg

The cause of bruises from injections is the same as ordinary bruises - a violation of the integrity of blood vessels, so do the same thing you do with ordinary bruises. Personally, I don't do anything, it passes by itself

Haha, but one day I was asked if my boyfriend was beating me up when they saw bruises on my legs :hilarious:

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well a lot of the time I wear t shirts and a hoodie so no one can see my stomach but at least I know now.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I don't inject but I do bruise really easily now probably due to not much skin on me. I have a map of bruises around my body where I have bashed myself inadvertently! My bg test leaves me a painful bruise that takes ages to go regardless of how its done. Including the old style bp test!

D

Deleted member 475901

I always bruised easily but it is much worse now as my skin thins with age.
Try very cold water straight away to close the blood vessels, then try aloe vera (I have a plant in my kitchen and just break a bit off) or arnica cream.
And yes, creams can be absorbed through the skin. Any woman who uses moisturiser sees this happen!

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is best to use when you develop bruises from injecting yourself?

In my experience there isn’t really anything you can use to help the bruises as they just appear from time to time.

I have noticed I will get them more if I have injected in the same area a few times over so try avoid the same area.

Also, try avoid the leaner areas of your legs, arms, tummy and bum. Easier said then done but I have found if I have injected almost straight into muscle I will get a bruise! And it hurt like… (I will let you finish the sentence)