1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bubbles in novorapid insulin

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Tracie1212, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tracie1212

Tracie1212 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My diabetic nurse told me it was unsafe to inject insulin with bubbles in cartridge. I get quite a lot of these and spend a lot of time flicking the cartridge to try and get rid of, not always successful. Have tried the recommendations from other threads. Also find bubbles within cartridge case makes it hard to distinguish exactly where bubble is. So is it safe to inject with bubbles in insulin? Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support
    Staff Member

Hi there, did you mean to post this in the diabetes and eating disorders forum? If yes that's absolutely no problem as we welcome all diabetes related discussions here but just wanted to double check as your post didn't mention eating disorder issues :). Thanks.

& yes as @justbe said they are usually harmless and to be expected sometime. But if you can get rid of them by flicking the cartridge and making sure the vial is upright and settled before you use it then that's all the better. I was told the same by my nurse. I wouldn't worry too much unless you feel your sugar levels are being impacted.

3. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never been told this in fact an Nhs out of hours doctor told me it would be absolutely fine to inject even though there was a bubble x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

4. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's best to check each injection you use for air bubbles, as they do form quite regularly. It's perfectly normal, and safe to inject AFTER you get rid of it. To do this simply hold the pen with the needle tip pointed up (so the air bubble rises towards the needle). Then set it at 4-5 units and eject the insulin , and hopefully with the air bubble. If there's still a small bubble or two repeat the process until they are all gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tracie1212

Tracie1212 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your replies will try worry less about bubbles in future the smaller bubbles are the most stubborn. No sorry didn't realise was eating disorder thread. Probably too upset having to stay up late again faffing around with insulin.

6. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support
    Staff Member

Okay hun no probs I'll move this into the pump forum :).

7. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi All
    This thread intrigues me.
    When I was an awful lot younger and used to draw and mix my own insulin it was drummed into me to avoid air bubbles like the plague as if they get under your skin they would make their way to your heart and kill you.....
    In those days it was easy as you had a syringe and could see the offending bubble and flick like a good un til it had gone.
    Mixing insulin made this quite a common occurance.
    Years have moved on and I had almost forgotten this and I can't say I've noticed bubbles in the new fangled vials I use now (lol) but I shall keep my beady eye on this and report back.

Tony
    Type 1 of 43 years.

8. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Air into a vein would be an issue and could kill you. But we all inject/insert into subcutaneous fat so no great risk other than underdosing on insulin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook