Bulletproof coffee, am I doing it right?

CurvyPixel

Hello
I tried bulletproof coffee this morning. Kept me full til lunch, however, I had a really upset tummy after drinking it and felt really nauseous too. Am I supposed to drink it a mug at a time like 'normal' coffee, or sip it throughout the morning?

I do sometimes have an upset tummy in the morning, Doc says IBS, but I think it could be the metformin (I'm on 3 slow release a day).

Am willing to try again as I love the taste - but wanted the advice and opinions of others to make sure I was doing it right!
Thanks
Trish

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best drink it before it cools too much when the butter & oil will start to solidify, or at least stick to the palate. It should be nice and frothy.
Can't say about upset tum but people on here usually start with metformin as the most likely cause in the early days, although you are on slow release.
Do persevere if you can. Maybe a smaller mug and a bit less fat. You may have to whisk in a larger mug & decant.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first proper bulletproof hot choc yesterday, by about lunch I had some stomach cramps, could have been unrelated but could have been the fat!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some people struggle with the coconut oil. It's worth introducing that in small quantities.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I add double cream to it as well, I prefer it with cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree to working up to it gradually.

The full quota of butter/oil first thing in the morning can be a bit of a shock, to start with.

Now? Goodness, i love it. I think bp coffee and/or coffeencream are the ONLY breakfast i have EVER had consistently, that keeps me satisfied between 8am and lunch at 1 pm. I still find it remarkable, every day.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I'm learning to love it. Had mine with double cream as well as butter & coconut oil. Then I had sausages as well !!

Reactions: 8 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Is bullet proof coffee coffee with a spoonful of butter added instead of milk?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is bullet proof coffee coffee with a spoonful of butter added instead of milk?
That's the idea. And coconut oil, too. In a big mug of coffee I'd put 2 tablespoons of each. Plus double cream if I'm going to use it as a full meal replacement.

I love fat, me.

Reactions: 5 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Sounds great I thought the reason for it was to avoid having too much cream because of the carbs in cream (I love cream!) maybe I've read too many diet books...hope so:)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As I understand it, there are fewer carbs in double cream than there are in normal milk. In the full fat version, anyway.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it just comes down to personal tolerance. I am fine with cream, double for preference.
But milk affects my bg in a ridiculously disporportionate way.

I think we all need to map it out for ourselves, and then make the most of the hand of cards we have been dealt.

:D:D:D for my tolerance to cream!!!

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I tried bulletproof coffee this morning. Kept me full til lunch, however, I had a really upset tummy after drinking it and felt really nauseous too. Am I supposed to drink it a mug at a time like 'normal' coffee, or sip it throughout the morning?

I do sometimes have an upset tummy in the morning, Doc says IBS, but I think it could be the metformin (I'm on 3 slow release a day).

Am willing to try again as I love the taste - but wanted the advice and opinions of others to make sure I was doing it right!
Thanks
Trish

@CurvyPixel
I too am on the bulletproofs as getting my fat quota up for the day.

I'm not on medication, diet only for now and I notice the difference in my FBG's if I don't have my fat drink (haven't tried a fat bomb yet).

After a few experiments with coffee I bought some raw caco powder in local healthfood shop on a deal. That stuff is sooo strong. Used 1 tsp in 200ml of hotish water and added 2 tbs each of the butter and coconut oil. I felt sick and later had a very strange toilet experience....

So I've gone back to the 1tbs each of butter n oil. Feel a whole heap better. And I love my morning chocolate....I am unable to consume lactose so double cream is out. But lactofree cream is on my list to add. Also some orange zest to make a chocolate orange flavour.....

I drink it straight out of the blender jug with a straw. 'Cause I'm classy like that. Also I am always rushing and I have taken it in the car with me to the Heathrow.

Only one £8.99 jar of coconut oil is gonna last me only 2wks at this rate.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
As I understand it, there are fewer carbs in double cream than there are in normal milk. In the full fat version, anyway.
Check the cartons / bottles, but generally I have found double cream to have the least carbs (hardley any) followed by single cream, then full fat milk, then semi skimmed milk, with skimmed milk containing the most carbs.

You have to watch some of the 'synthetic creams' like emlea which contain more carbs

Cornish clotted cream is even better than double cream!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

Thanks
Trish

Fat makes me feel sick.
I hate coffee with anything other than skimmed milk in.
If it's even full fat milk on offer, I'll drink it black instead.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Fat makes me feel sick.
I hate coffee with anything other than skimmed milk in.
If it's even full fat milk on offer, I'll drink it black instead.
I was exactly the same two years ago, slowly cut back on carbs and increased fat, now love double cream in coffee etc.