Burger And Chips!

AubreyV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, so it's been about 2 weeks since I've been diagnosed with type 1, and I've been eating well and mainly keeping bg between 5 and 10. My partner has been great too and eating healthily with me, but really fancy a takeaway tonight of burger and chips. Anyone know roughly how many carbs this will be, so I can take the appropriate amount of Novo rapid? And is it ok to have a treat like this every once in a while?

Thank you!

D

Deleted Account

I would treat this as a bun and chips and inject for them.
There is a small chance of carbs in the burger but a good quality burger should just be beef.
There may be a few carbs in the dressings but I would not worry too much about those as you will be rounding up and down and estimating for the others.

Take a look at a burger buns from any supermarket for bun carbs.
Chips depends on how many you have.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If the takeaway has a website with the nutritional values? It may worth while looking there... (if part of a franchise.?)
If it's more an "indie" set up, you could have a look at comparisons using the Carbs & cals app?

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IDK about T1 and insulin,but I do know if you skip the bun and wrap your burger in lettuce they still taste great IMO. When I eat a burger from the fast food,if they dont/wont do a lettuce wrap I just leave the buns behind and eat the rest.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here, Five Guys and most other big chains will do the lettuce wrap or put the burger in a box for you, the fries I could only have 4 or 5 of as they drive the BGs up too much. You would have to test your blood before and after to get a good idea of your personal tolerances, but any real beef burger should not be a problem. I find that veggie burgers are something to stay away from as they must be high in carbs and drive up the BG readings.