Burning heel - scared

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently started experiencing a burning sensation in one of my feet, on the heel. Is this neuropathy?

My diabetic clinic never properly checks my feet but I went to a chiropodist privately almost a year ago. I have an old verrucca which I discussed removing but he said it can cause more complications in diabetic feet and to leave it. The verruca is on this heel. He did a sensation test that showed only the tiniest bit of nerve damage on the end of my big toe on the other foot.

I have been diabetic 31 years with difficult to stabalise BG in the early years. I have been wearing an insulin pump for almost 2 years and my BG is the best it's ever been.

What should I do? Can they treat this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Needless to say I would get this investigated Mushy. Why don't they check your feet thoroughly at your diabetes check-up, if there isn't a Podiatrist in attendance at the clinic you can always make an appointment to see one through your gp practise.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Noblehead they don't seem to concerned about checking feet and I normally have to mention it to get them looked at. The registrar then hits my feet with that metal thing and pokes them with a pin and it's done in a few minutes. Maybe that's all that's needed but it never feels looked at properly. That is all I have ever had.

The private check I had before took 30 mins and he tested sensation in all sorts of ways.

Should I have been seeing a Podiatrist then? Do you all see one?

jopar

Seeing a Podiatrist isn't necessary unless you feel you've might have a problem, have a problem or can't cut your toes nails...

It doesn't take many checks to pick up problems with the feet... A visual to check for general condition (hard skin, corns etc) then a tuning fork, then specific pricking with the filaments, and finally checking the pulse in the foot! These 4 simple tests is enough to pick up problems that need dealing with...

All the other tests that a private Podiatrist does, is nothing more than padding out making the client feel that they are getting their money worth!

I don't always get my feet probably checked, but am always asked if I feel their is a problem, but I don't even have hard skin to worry about, so yes if it isn't done on that visit there's no particular worry.. But they are checked around about every 12 months..

Spiral

Feet are a very neglected part of the body and good foot care is essential for everyone, not just diabetics. If your really want to know what is going on with your feet see a podiatrist, your GP means well, but does not really have a clue.

I have had lots of problems with my feet over mainly due to an accident in 2007 and had some fairly major surgery on one of my feet in April as a result of the accident. I also had some fairly persistent problems with heel pain that was down to a problem with my achiles tendon - this was eventually treated succesfully with shock wave therapy.

If you are not walking properly, that will make any problems you have with your knees or back worse. I think if the problem is in your heel that it is likely to be something other than neuropathy and it needs a visit to the podiatrist.