Butter or no Butter

B

badcat

No but thats not the point.
What you, I or anyone else would eat is irrelevant - the OP is an adult who has made a decision to use the spread for 3 months in preference to butter to test the effect of the change, presumably based on the results, they will then make further dietary choices.
To assume they have not looked into what they are choosing to use and need someone else to tell them that they are choosing to eat "toxic sludge" is something I would see as disrespectful and therefore v inappropriate
As the (in my view rather irrelevent) question of what I would or would not eat has been raised, Ill answer it
I havnt used margerine of any kind (other than one brand of trans fat free marg which I havnt used for about 25 years) for over 30 years - this is because of the amount of trans fats produced by the manafacturing process of heating / reheating / mechanically combining oils that is used in producing margarine.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/nutrition/butter-vs-margarine
My personal choices of fats for cooking are butter, olive oil, coconut oil, & rice bran oil. For spreading my choices are butter, almond butter, cream cheese, raw avocado and the more limited use of tahini and peanut butter. For dressings, I use any of the previouly mentioned liqid fats, in addition to cold pressed avocado or hemp seed oil.as appropriate to the dish
I do not use large amounts of any fat and see excessive fat levels as unhealthy. In addition, I very rarely eat meat unless it is organic, free range and antibiotic free - partly on health grounds but more importantly on ethical grounds and the simple fact that I dont like most meat

Last edited by a moderator:

Tannith

BANNED
Why is it that when the original poster has said that they have made an adult decision to try a time limited experiment in order to asess a particular issue of interest and importance to them, a number of replies are from people saying why they wouldnt do it and in not very subtle ways implying that the poster has made a foolish or ill informed decision - I dont see wiseowl as either of those things.
Seems to be that when it comes to this forum, the more it changes the more it stays the same
Two articles on saturated fats that I found for posting on another thread:
https://www.newsmax.com/Health/Head...dall-Mediterranean-diet/2013/03/11/id/494050/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...affect-arteries-almost-immediately-101996025/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just briefly looked at the first one. And very briefly. What stood out is the inclusion of veggies in the Mediterranean diet and the inclusion of bread in the saturated fat one.

I do limit my saturated fat but I don't go anywhere near bread.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are different types of ldl cholesterol good and bad, I don't eat any vegetable oil, if I can help it,

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning all my friends after a lot of deliberation and reading all the valued and respected posts on this thread I in my infinite wisdom have decided to carry on with my butter,and scrap my experiment,thank you all for your wonderful and enlightening replies,and to the diabetic nurse who's last words as I came out of the room "just carry on doing what you have been doing"(LOL) have a great day;)