1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Butter or no Butter

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by wiseowl_123, Oct 16, 2017.

1. badcat

badcat · Guest

As the (in my view rather irrelevent) question of what I would or would not eat has been raised, Ill answer it
    I havnt used margerine of any kind (other than one brand of trans fat free marg which I havnt used for about 25 years) for over 30 years - this is because of the amount of trans fats produced by the manafacturing process of heating / reheating / mechanically combining oils that is used in producing margarine.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/nutrition/butter-vs-margarine
    My personal choices of fats for cooking are butter, olive oil, coconut oil, & rice bran oil. For spreading my choices are butter, almond butter, cream cheese, raw avocado and the more limited use of tahini and peanut butter. For dressings, I use any of the previouly mentioned liqid fats, in addition to cold pressed avocado or hemp seed oil.as appropriate to the dish
    I do not use large amounts of any fat and see excessive fat levels as unhealthy. In addition, I very rarely eat meat unless it is organic, free range and antibiotic free - partly on health grounds but more importantly on ethical grounds and the simple fact that I dont like most meat

#41 badcat, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

Two articles on saturated fats that I found for posting on another thread:
    https://www.newsmax.com/Health/Head...dall-Mediterranean-diet/2013/03/11/id/494050/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...affect-arteries-almost-immediately-101996025/

3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I just briefly looked at the first one. And very briefly. What stood out is the inclusion of veggies in the Mediterranean diet and the inclusion of bread in the saturated fat one.

I do limit my saturated fat but I don't go anywhere near bread.

4. bruciebonus

bruciebonus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are different types of ldl cholesterol good and bad, I don't eat any vegetable oil, if I can help it,

5. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all my friends after a lot of deliberation and reading all the valued and respected posts on this thread I in my infinite wisdom have decided to carry on with my butter,and scrap my experiment,thank you all for your wonderful and enlightening replies,and to the diabetic nurse who's last words as I came out of the room "just carry on doing what you have been doing"(LOL) have a great day;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook