Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's scary when your BG goes unexpectedly high. I know from experience how annoying it can be because mine's high at the moment because of illness.

How about working out your carbs before eating using something like the MyFitnessPal app then plating up your dinner yourself using scales to give the exact amount you have worked out that you can eat. It's no good guestimating portions when you are so new to low carbing, especially when you are eating so many relatively carby foods.

Eventually you will know what you can eat more or less freely and those things you should restrict and the best way of doing that is to work out your carbs before you eat.

Reactions: coleyd
M

ME_Valentijn

@coleyd - Peas, lentils, and squash are some of my mainstays for dinners. But I cook them as a soup with a can of full-fat coconut milk. Then I'm getting plenty of calories from the fat, and less from the carbs. It sounds like you're getting too many carbs, and the best way to fix that is by embracing fat. Fat is not bad!

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My lunches are simple.

2 egg mayo or small tin of salmon, sliced up pickled onion, 6 or 7 cherry toms, half a toasted Lidl roll with loads of butter.

Twice a week we have a fry up (egg and mushrooms fried in butter, a tomato, Black Farmer sausage and 3 rashers of bacon all grilled) plus the half Lidl roll toasted.

Following on from a recent thread about baked beans, and having tried them right at the beginning of my journey and discarded them due to high spike, I decided to try them again now I am 3 years further on. One spoonful with the fry up and my rise is under 1mmol/l so they are now back on the menu.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you want simple and really quick lunch then avocado cut in half take out stone, sprinkle cut surfaces with a little salt, lime juice OR hot pepper sauce and eat with a spoon.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My lunches are simple.

2 egg mayo or small tin of salmon, sliced up pickled onion, 6 or 7 cherry toms, half a toasted Lidl roll with loads of butter.

Twice a week we have a fry up (egg and mushrooms fried in butter, a tomato, Black Farmer sausage and 3 rashers of bacon all grilled) plus the half Lidl roll toasted.

Following on from a recent thread about baked beans, and having tried them right at the beginning of my journey and discarded them due to high spike, I decided to try them again now I am 3 years further on. One spoonful with the fry up and my rise is under 1mmol/l so they are now back on the menu.
Thanks for the ideas and that is great about the beans !