Buying a Pump

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you based in the UK?
If so, I don't believe it is possible to buy one.

When I had my first pump, I was told to insure it for £4000. That was over 5 years ago but it probably a good indicator. However, like many things with diabetes, you need to consider the ongoing cost of the extras: cannulas and cartridges.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone bought a pump before? Want to know the price of a Medtronic 780 pump.

Hi,

Has your daughter changed her mind about a pump? Noticed a topic you posted a couple of years back? She was trailing the idea using saline.. (At the time.)
I'm on MDI & looked into the idea of self funding. Worked out that I'd need to sell my van & the money saved on the asosiated upkeep on the road & wot not could fund it on a yearly basis?

After saying all that. Then there is the professional support that would probably be needed for what is essentially a self prescribed medical device & regime?

Carful consideration beyond the actual budget, may possibly be needed... (That's not to mention what I've come to understand on the average lifespan regarding manufacturers "warrantee" on a pump unit?)

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Connie’s Dad - I had the exact same question a little while back and looked into it.

It's certainly possible to self fund for an insulin pump, most of the manufactures will give you a price if you call them, and will also ask that the hospital team contact them to approve you for self funding. The things you would need to consider are:

- The cost of the pump it's self
- The cost of buying insulin reservoirs every month (new one needed every three days)
- The cost of buying infusion sets every month (new one needed every three days)
- The cost of buying the CGM / glucose monitor every month (new one every 7 days)

I've attached a price comparison list of different pumps that was supplied to me by a private diabetes clinic. Please note these prices likely have a margin added on top by the clinic, so going direct to the manufacturer will be a little bit cheaper, and they often also have deals for recurring purchases of the CGM (in my case, all CGM supplies cost ~£200 per month on a 12 month subscription.

As you can see, the cost is quite substantial, and I would advise pushing the local diabetes team for funding as much as you can, it worked for me eventually (although I have to self fund the CGM)

Attachments

• Pump Price Comparison Table 2020.pdf
    670.2 KB · Views: 110