1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Buzzing feet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by EveryCloud, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EveryCloud

EveryCloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have an appointment with the doctor today. For the last 2 weeks I have felt like there is a mobile phone attached to my feet and someone is calling them. To begin with this was a slight annoyance, but now with every 'buzz' there is painful pins and needles. I have obviously asked Dr Google and it has pointed towards neuropathy, so I am terrified! The thing is, I have been so good! My BG is rarely above 8 and my last HbA1c was the best it has ever been. So what gives? I am type 2. I take 1000mg of Metformin, I am on Linagliptin and Forxiga too. Does anyone else have these symptoms? If so, what was the outcome? I have an evening appointment and I am worried sick!

• Hug Hug x 2
    #1 EveryCloud, May 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. steveis36

steveis36 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are experiencing fasciculation or muscle spasms in the foot. Fasciculation can occur when a muscle is overworked, pulled or used incorrectly. Perhaps the nerve in your foot has been pinched. Foot buzzing can also be brought on by stress or a salt deficiency in your diet.

I found this, not sure if u have seen it.
    Ive had something similar but thought nothing of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. steveis36

steveis36 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ps. Be careful about looking for on net as it can freak u out even more

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Diabetes is never straight forward and it's always difficult to know how long a type II was diabetic before diagnosis. Try not to worry to much (I know, easier said than done). Think positive, you've obviously done the right thing by seeing your GP. Early treatment will improve the outcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EveryCloud

Hi all, sorry for the slow reply. The doc said it is the start of neuropathy. I have been a bit upset. He did reassure me and tell me it isn't my fault and that sometimes no matter how good your control is, it can just happen. I have been prescribed 60mg of Duloxetine for two months to see if that will ease the discomfort and I ha e been referred to a podiatrist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Some people on the forum have reported that when they get their blood glucose under tight control, then they get the sensations of tingling and pins and needles as the nerves recover.

So please do not assume that you are on an inevitable downward spiral.
    If you have recently lowered your blood glucose to more normal levels, then the feelings you are getting maybe a good sign.

Obviously, none of us can say whether this is happening to you, but PLEASE do not assume that the sensations you have been experiencing are automatically bad news.

You may find this video by Dr Bernstein interesting (who runs a clinic for Diabetes, and has been treating Type 1s and Type 2s for over 40 years). He advocates tight blood glucose control as both a prevention of neuropathy, and as a way to regenerate the damaged nerves.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

I’m in a similar condition to you

Diabetic neuropathy has been diagnosed by my GP

Started approx 3 months ago and its getting worse not better

Started on Amitriptylene then Duloxatine and yesterday I saw the doctor and he’s put me on Gabapentin

The sensations I feel are pins and needles or it’s like walking on drawing pins with sharp severe pain

Good luck hope your treatment works for you

• Like Like x 2
  8. EveryCloud

I will watch this when I get home thanks.

9. EveryCloud

Thanks. I hope the meds help my feet. I don't think I could cope with any much more pain. I have to walk all day for a living.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook