By-pass surgery

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My elderly dad is very ill. The angiogram he has had did not work and his last option is by-pass surgery. Meanwhile, his heart is being constantly monitored and he is on the strict 'low-fat, high carb' diet. I have managed to keep my mouth shut about this farce.

As the questions I'm about to ask are off topic, so if anyone is kind enough to reply, it may be best to PM me.

I know quite a bit about by-pass, but it's all from gleanings off the net and a medical pal of mine. Is there anyone who has any insider info or experience they would like to share with me? I doubt very much he will come through it unscathed or even alive but with as much info as I can get, I may be able to prepare my family or even improve his chances. I want to hear the not so good stuff too. I'm a realist.
He is also turning into a bored, frail old man on the ward as he is not being stimulated at all. His normally determined and motivated attitude has been scared out of him. Does anyone have any ideas or tips about how to keep his mind active? He loves playing chess but is embarrassed at his skill and wont play in case he appears stupid and there's only so much reading a person can do.

Thanks in advance guys.

wiflib

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Wiflib,
Sorry to hear your Dad is going through such a bad time, especially at this time of year, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I can't tell you anything about a bypass but i can make a suggestion to help keep his mind busy. Has anyone in the family got a DS,they could lend him, he could do brain training or tetris, theres majong titans, bound to be some chess games too, there so addictive he wont see the time go by.
take care and seasons greetings
Suzi x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that Suzi.
I hadn't thought of that but his retinopathy is quite bad and I think he will struggle to cope with it. He's had the same old Nokia phone for 10 years and still can't use it!

I'm going to get a photo album together for him and encourage all the family to write to him. I still love the joy of seeing a letter on my door mat. He's also getting a surprise visit from my daughter and granddaughters after Christmas. I'm looking forward to the look on his face!

Wishing you all peaceful celebrations.

(my attempt at being PC. The family is made up of agnostics, Christians, Jews and a few others I've never heard of!)

wiflib

Trinkwasser

Frankly it's impossible to say, some people I have known did spectacularly well and others didn't.

Sometimes it works too well, an old friend of my mother's later became totally blind deaf and unable to walk, which for a once busy and sociable person was a nightmare. However the bypass allowed her NOT to die for many years while she stayed in that state. :(

I can only wish you all the best. This winter seems to suck the big one with respect to illness and death all around, there are several people and another relation I'm not expecting to be around much longer.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
How about an mp3 player? Pre-load one with his favourite music and that should keep him occupied. Best wishes,

Bubsy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Anyone round you got a lap top?
Last time my husband was "incarcerated" in the hospital, It kept him amused and his eyes aren't too good either. Night time security was an issue, but the thing survived. It's a fairly desirable Vaio too. He played games and DVDs on it. Better than a hand held game, because you can make the images bigger.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your dad's medics thought he was too high-risk for a bypass (i.e. unlikely to survive), taking into account his total condition, they'd say so. Either by saying its risky but his decision, or turning him down for surgery. His decision in the end though.

BTW don't mean to criticise, but having worked in cardio 4 years must correct you. An angiogram isn't treatment, it's an investigation to show the state of his heart. So it's not right to say it "didn't work". That's like saying an xray didn't work if it didn't mend a broken bone. Maybe you meant angioplasty (where they open the arteries with a balloon and/or stent to prop it open)? I know it's confusing, especially when they use different words for the same thing or the same word for different things, or when terms are used inaccurately.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Littlesue. You are right, I was a bit lax with my terminology. The angoigram showed three blocked vessels and they were not able to clear them by any method. His choice is that of Hobsons. He has decided to go ahead with the surgery and this will be done in about three weeks. Meanwhile, they are treating him medically and is constantly monitored but has since been transferred back to the cardiac ward at his local hospital. He is much happier there and it means we will be able to give him a good Christmas.

wiflib

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My thoughts and best wishes are with you, your dad and your family wiflib.
I have no medical advice I can give you but I will say I spent a month in hospital 5 years ago. Nowt to do with diabetes I hasten to add, but I was in a coma for 2 weeks and had to learn to walk again by the end of it.
The hardest thing to deal with was the complete lack of mental stimulation. My wife brought me some audio books though and that was an inspired move. I hadn't the physical strength to hold a book up for long, but listening to the text being read over the headphones was fantastic. It transported me out of hospital and into another world, in my head at least.

Best wishes,

fergus

Trinkwasser

fergus said:
The hardest thing to deal with was the complete lack of mental stimulation. My wife brought me some audio books though and that was an inspired move. I hadn't the physical strength to hold a book up for long, but listening to the text being read over the headphones was fantastic. It transported me out of hospital and into another world, in my head at least.

Best wishes,

fergus

Good thought. These days a small laptop may be a good alternative. You probably wouldn't be allowed on the internet in this country but you could bring in stuff to read and listen to.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Those are all good thoughts, we've just found out my auntie who had a stroke last month has now got cancerous growths in her womb, which have started bleeding.Unfortunately, she's up in Falkirk and we're in the Midlands so that makes it a bit difficult to visit her :( It's looking doubtful if she can ever come home, so they're trying to find her a bed a bit nearer home (my cousins are facing a 40 minute drive to see her) Unfortunately, the physiotherapy only continues while she's in Falkirk, so if anyone knows any exercises my cousins can help her a bit. Sorry to put everyone on a downer, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bubsy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
From Chocfish.

Awww Bubsy so sorry to hear about yet another family problem, you really seem to have had more than your fair share this year.
Re your auntie, just never say never, she might just rally round, little steps in the right direction and plenty of encouragement might just help her jog along.
Here are a few links to check out, there is loads of info on the internet, but do also check with her current physiotherapist, they should be giving you some ideas of what you can do with your auntie in the home environment.

http://www.blurtit.com/q870302.html
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stro ... erehab.htm
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stro ... erehab.htm
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie ... rt=10&sa=N

Also contact the Stroke organisation, they are very helpful people there and loads of good information there, they have an 0845 helpline number too, just go out there and I think you will really find lots of information and assistance, dont be shy, just grab all that is useful for you/family.
http://www.stroke.org.uk/

All the best to you and all your family

Much love

Karen aka Chocfish x

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Thanks ever so much Karen, there's loads of info there. It's just so easy to get overwhelmed with all this but as my cousins say, she's a feisty old dear so anything is possible. Anyway, gotta go, i'm taking my son to London today so we've got a train to catch! Best wishes and merry xmas,

Bubsy