byetta

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Fuggsy,
I can only pass on personal experience and contacts with other users. The weight loss is usually more apparent than reduction in BG in the early weeks. The reduction in BG in most people is quite gradual - there is no magic immediate reduction, and certainly in my own case, my BG has come down with a combination of the byetta plus reducing my carb intake to between 80 and 100g per day and getting more exercise.

I really can't understand why you are seeing such high BGs with the amount of insulin plus gliclazide you are taking for an intake of only 50g. When you say you have had BG of 35 for the last 2 years you must mean it has peaked at 35. At 35 you are normally hospitalised and after a few days at 35 you would be in hyperglycaemic coma. If that's the reading you are getting are you sure your monitor is working?

Hi Snorkmaiden,
Unfortunately nausea is common when you first start on Byetta (at the 5 mg pen level) and again when you move up to the 10mg pen. The manufacturers don't claim it to be rare at all - the Eli Lilly information leaflet that comes with each pen actually states that it is very common. The nausea should wear off in a few days, and even if your stomach is sending back everything you eat during that time, the lack of nutrients for a few days won't do you any harm. Many people find that injecting immediately before you eat can help reduce the nausea, and also ginger is a good nausea suppressant, either as a drink or eaten. Just make sure you avoid any greasy or spicy foods until your body becomes acclimatised to the med.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Hi Dennis,
Unfortunately it isn't just peaking at 35 it is constantly hi check keytones! I'm not comatose because I've been hi for so long my body's used to it. My hosp has sent me home from an outpatients appt with a bg of 45.3. My hba1c has been greater than 14 for 18months.
Byetta is my last hope tbh. I've done everything the hosp has asked with no luck. My body kills insulin before it works.
I have a very good friend who's been diabetic for years and she sorted out my carbs so I take less than 50g a day

sixfoot

Fugsey hi have been watching your posts and replies, Dennis is far far more experienced that me with Byetta although he tells me i am getting similar results to what he had. I too am puzzled by your readings, because like dennis i have cut down on carbs and have experienced reduced BS and weightloss.

Can i ask Do you like a pint or two ? I do ----- did. As soon as my weight was shifting i stopped beer altogether even though i would only have 2 at most. My thinking is, if it isnt going in by food is is being consumed by liquid .

Just sorry i cant be of more help
Dave P

SILVERKIRSTY

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I have just hand my first dose of byetta hope i can do will on it
I'm currently taking metformin one three times a day
no effects not to day

sixfoot

Siverkirsty hello and welcome, ive been on it for just under 3 months now and am on the 10 pen . If you follow back on this thread you will see that some get the nausea but some like me dont. It does seem to help some it they inject imediatly prior to eating. I you do suffer i am told it does wear off.

Whatever happens stick with it and good luck
Dave P