C-peptide result

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Anyone know if a urine c-pep test result is different to blood c-pep, had a urine test result of 0.05 and now the nurse wants me to change my humalin I to levamur, can’t find any reason for the change

Thankyou

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on the units...

https://www.exeterlaboratory.com/test/c-peptide-urine/

Looks like you might be a long standing T1..

Edit to add.. no idea this test even existed but the criteria for taking it seem quite strict.. did you take the ample 2 hours after eating?
Thankyou Mr Biker

Nah I’m definitely t2, I have a belly on me, something else happened recently too, can’t remember what but I remember commenting that it proves I’m T2.

Yes followed the test requirements to the letter, although doctors didn’t tell me anything other than pee in a pot of powder.

What I don’t understand is why my insulin would change, if it’s not broke don’t fix it right? I can find no reason to change it, I get night time hypos but I’m asleep and would not even know if it wasn’t for libre.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nah I’m definitely t2, I have a belly on me, something else happened recently too, can’t remember what but I remember commenting that it proves I’m T2.

Then if you have been T2 for several years perhaps this is a sign that your pancreas has finally worn out ? Just guessing, don't have a clue really.

What I don’t understand is why my insulin would change, if it’s not broke don’t fix it right? I can find no reason to change it, I get night time hypos but I’m asleep and would not even know if it wasn’t for libre.

The cynical me would say perhaps the new one is cheaper?

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Then if you have been T2 for several years perhaps this is a sign that your pancreas has finally worn out ? Just guessing, don't have a clue really.

The cynical me would say perhaps the new one is cheaper?
Oh yes of course! That makes sense now, I need to become more cynical, grrr

I only wanted to know if I was dumping insulin on top of already too much or wasn’t making enough, this result if accurate makes me feel better about taking the insulin, not sure what I would have done with a high c-pep but with a low, carry on as I’m doing. So it’s a good result really.

Thankyou

Reactions: zand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Anyone know if a urine c-pep test result is different to blood c-pep, had a urine test result of 0.05 and now the nurse wants me to change my humalin I to levamur, can’t find any reason for the change

Thankyou

Hi @Fenn ,

I had to look this up.. To the best of my knowledge I've not had this sorta test done.
If it was I. I'd be looking to ask what the results mean?
Hope this link helps on the reasons? https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=167&contentid=c_peptide_urine

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou Mr Biker

Yes followed the test requirements to the letter, although doctors didn’t tell me anything other than pee in a pot of powder.

So do you know what the units of your test were?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fenn ,

I had to look this up.. To the best of my knowledge I've not had this sorta test done.
If it was I. I'd be looking to ask what the results mean?
Hope this link helps on the reasons? https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=167&contentid=c_peptide_urine
Thankyou

She opened the phone chat with “your c-pep results suggest a different diagnosis but you have to wait until September when you see the consultant” she then went on to change everything I do, wants me to see a dietician, said my insulin ratio is all wrong, stopped my Diapaflozin, cancelled my proposed Sglp2? That might be 1, basically changed everything I do, my wife said she read the urine test is rubbish so I was wondering if this was good, she was very nice and kind so don’t want to complain but I felt like she was changing stuff for the sake of it. I feel bad for even saying that.

If you are reading this... sorry

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fenn Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying on a thread a while back, that you were diet controlled for several years? So you aren't T1, possibly LADA I suppose, but unlikely? Or could it be that they usually do C Peptide tests only at diagnosis and your DN somehow doesn't realise you have been diabetic for years?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fenn Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying on a thread a while back, that you were diet controlled for several years? So you aren't T1, possibly LADA I suppose, but unlikely? Or could it be that they usually do C Peptide tests only at diagnosis and your DN somehow doesn't realise you have been diabetic for years?
Thankyou

Never been only diet, they put me on tablets straight away, with dates it’s all a bit fuzzy (like my brain generally) but I achieved remission (I think) with a year and half of progressively LCHF, I never started insulin until a couple of years ago, I do not think I’m type 1, I fit type 2 well, my excess weight is belly only, I’m literally thin everywhere else, think pregnant runner lol which I read suggests type 2, my whole family, alive and dead type 2, except a great aunt.

I ate like an absolute pig before diagnosis and deserve to be type 2.

I also had a negative GAD test.

the nurse was on the phone for an hour, we went into everything including years :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Zand I think you answered my question with the money answer :)

I believe I am type “tired pancreas” both my children were diagnosed with Hyperinsulinism, I think I was undiagnosed with this for my whole life, chugging away pumping out insulin I didn’t need, I reckon it’s burnt itself out, this test in my mind, confirms this. So it’s actually good news, or at least news that makes me feel correct lol.