1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

C section question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by myarnton1, Nov 13, 2018.

1. myarnton1

myarnton1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Was just wondering, do you have the steroid injections if you have a c section at 37+ weeks? Or is it only before that?
    Thanks

2. Tilly_S

Tilly_S Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Only if it’s before this xx

3. myarnton1

Okay thank you:D

4. Ellie_Wilko

Ellie_Wilko Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had my section 4 months ago at 37+2 and had to have steroids x

5. myarnton1

Seems like it depends on hospital policy then! So I’ll ask my consultant at my next appointment, at what gestation did you have the steroids:)? Xx

6. Ellie_Wilko

I went in on the Sunday and had them as an inpatient Sunday and Monday and then my section was Tuesday! So only a couple of days before xx

7. myarnton1

Oh I see, I thought maybe they would do it a few weeks before to give it time to work. But I don’t know very much about the steroids x

8. Ellie_Wilko

Usually for anyone having steroids they can have it all in 1 go as just a in and out think but because it can affect your sugars they have to split it for diabetics and keep a close eye on how you react to them xx

9. eabhamurphy

eabhamurphy · Well-Known Member

I was told if I had the baby via planned section at 38+6 or before I would need steroids. 39 weeks and after I would not. I understand that is the national guidance. I had him at 39+2, no steroids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. myarnton1

Hi @Ellie_Wilko sorry to call on you in particular, did you have to go on sliding scale for steroids? I’m in having them now and sugars are going up:wideyed: x

11. Ellie_Wilko

Sorry I've only just seen this! I'm sure your well under way so sorry if I'm to late!

I had them over 2 days and the first I didn't have to but I did on the second as my bloods went above their levels and then stayed on that until my little girl was born.

Hope all goes ok with you xx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook