C section question

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
Was just wondering, do you have the steroid injections if you have a c section at 37+ weeks? Or is it only before that?
Thanks

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my section 4 months ago at 37+2 and had to have steroids x
Seems like it depends on hospital policy then! So I’ll ask my consultant at my next appointment, at what gestation did you have the steroids:)? Xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Seems like it depends on hospital policy then! So I’ll ask my consultant at my next appointment, at what gestation did you have the steroids:)? Xx

I went in on the Sunday and had them as an inpatient Sunday and Monday and then my section was Tuesday! So only a couple of days before xx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I see, I thought maybe they would do it a few weeks before to give it time to work. But I don’t know very much about the steroids x

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh I see, I thought maybe they would do it a few weeks before to give it time to work. But I don’t know very much about the steroids x

Usually for anyone having steroids they can have it all in 1 go as just a in and out think but because it can affect your sugars they have to split it for diabetics and keep a close eye on how you react to them xx

eabhamurphy

I was told if I had the baby via planned section at 38+6 or before I would need steroids. 39 weeks and after I would not. I understand that is the national guidance. I had him at 39+2, no steroids.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ellie_Wilko sorry to call on you in particular, did you have to go on sliding scale for steroids? I’m in having them now and sugars are going up:wideyed: x

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Ellie_Wilko sorry to call on you in particular, did you have to go on sliding scale for steroids? I’m in having them now and sugars are going up:wideyed: x

Sorry I've only just seen this! I'm sure your well under way so sorry if I'm to late!

I had them over 2 days and the first I didn't have to but I did on the second as my bloods went above their levels and then stayed on that until my little girl was born.

Hope all goes ok with you xx