1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

C1 licence and Insulin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Doobray 2, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Doobray 2

Doobray 2 Type 2 · Newbie

Currently I'm type 2 and on Insulin. I need to get my C1 licence back how successful is it as I keep hearing negative opinions. I have never had a hypo that requires assistance and I'm hypo aware.

2. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's easy enough if you dont have hypo that need help

But for your consultant meeting you will need a glucose meter with 3 months of readings... minimum 2 tests a day.. and tests relevant to driving.

If you have a reading missing dont bother

And make sure you state you are hypo aware.. and carry fast and slow acting carbs when driving

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’ve recently had C1&D1 reinstated so I can drive an ambulance. I passed my car test in 1992, so had it automatically added then. It was stripped on my T1 diagnosis in 1998, so I had to reapply. I had to have a GP medical and eye test, then another with my diabetes consultant followed by yet another with the DVLA “independent diabetologist”. Of course I had to have three months worth of at least twice daily readings and be able to account for every dip below 4mmol in that time to the DVLA chap. I keep a small diary and write the reason for any now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My consultant simply says hypo are ok and expected.. it's only when you need help that the dvla care.. and so long as you know the rules on driving ie wait 45minute after treating a hypo

They simply dont care at all about high readings

So the biggest fear for anyone is the 3 month of readings and dont lose your meter in the 3 months prior to the medical

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook