C1 licence and Insulin

Doobray 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently I'm type 2 and on Insulin. I need to get my C1 licence back how successful is it as I keep hearing negative opinions. I have never had a hypo that requires assistance and I'm hypo aware.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It's easy enough if you dont have hypo that need help

But for your consultant meeting you will need a glucose meter with 3 months of readings... minimum 2 tests a day.. and tests relevant to driving.

If you have a reading missing dont bother

And make sure you state you are hypo aware.. and carry fast and slow acting carbs when driving

Reactions: Doobray 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve recently had C1&D1 reinstated so I can drive an ambulance. I passed my car test in 1992, so had it automatically added then. It was stripped on my T1 diagnosis in 1998, so I had to reapply. I had to have a GP medical and eye test, then another with my diabetes consultant followed by yet another with the DVLA “independent diabetologist”. Of course I had to have three months worth of at least twice daily readings and be able to account for every dip below 4mmol in that time to the DVLA chap. I keep a small diary and write the reason for any now.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My consultant simply says hypo are ok and expected.. it's only when you need help that the dvla care.. and so long as you know the rules on driving ie wait 45minute after treating a hypo

They simply dont care at all about high readings

So the biggest fear for anyone is the 3 month of readings and dont lose your meter in the 3 months prior to the medical