Caffeine in myself: seems to boost BG but no HbA1C influence

IamResistance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey All,
I've just concluded my experiment of 3 months of caffeine deprivation. Indeed very often I saw that the morning spike of BG gets to normal levels noticeably faster without my coffee, in other words, the average BG is somewhat lower comparing to the period when I started my day with a cup of coffee.
But my yesterday's HbA1C result didn't prove this at all. My HbA1C is glued down to 5.2-5.4 % for a year now, and these are the digits I received yesterday.
Other consideration about this caffeine abstinence :). My overall emotional and energetic state subjectively but noticeably improved. I became more energetic and my emotional state was was more stable, which is a plus. On the other hand, my appetite improved as well, so my OMAD with 48H fasting became unendurably hard. Now, as I reintroduced coffee, my appetite issue seems to be fixed.
-------
It looks like I can control my BG levels with diet and metformin, but my cholesterols are far from being optimal - HDL is 1.07 mmol/L, triglycerides - 3 and APO B - 110 mg/dL. This is what I am seeking a way to lower, so if you have any suggestions you are more than welcome. I am aware that first here is diet and second is regular activities. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SimonP78

Ro9998

I don’t know as I’m new but cholesterol if that creates high blood pressure which is me means exercis. I use Nintendo Wii fit but walk strength exercise. I don’t know exactly but that’s what I’m thinking

Reactions: IamResistance

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
-------
It looks like I can control my BG levels with diet and metformin, but my cholesterols are far from being optimal - HDL is 1.07 mmol/L, triglycerides - 3 and APO B - 110 mg/dL. This is what I am seeking a way to lower, so if you have any suggestions you are more than welcome. I am aware that first here is diet and second is regular activities. Thank you.
Standard advice for reducing cholesterol is to consume less saturated fat (under 30g per day for men, 20g for women, which is very difficult on low carb diets), increase fibre intake (30g minimum, but over 50g per day seems to be widely suggested - again, not the easiest on low carb), and increasing exercise. Plant sterols can potentially have a beneficial effect, however medical professionals will always recommend statins to most (possibly all?) T2 diabetics, regardless of cholesterol test results. Losing weight and low carb is beneficial to reducing triglycerides (however significant weight loss can also raise your LDL levels until you reach maintainance), but also make sure you fast for 12 hours before any cholesterol blood test and don't consume coffee during that time either. Rigorous exercise can also cause triglyceride levels to increase, so best to avoid doing that immediately before any blood test.

There are various schools of thought on which particular lipid profile results are risk factors, particularly when it comes to ratios between those results. I'm no expert, but @ianf0ster is very knowledgeable on them.

Last edited:

IamResistance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Standard advice for reducing cholesterol is to consume less saturated fat (under 30g per day for men, 20g for women, which is very difficult on low carb diets), increase fibre intake (30g minimum, but over 50g per day seems to be widely suggested - again, not the easiest on low carb), and increasing exercise. Plant sterols can potentially have a beneficial effect, however medical professionals will always recommend statins to most (possibly all?) T2 diabetics, regardless of cholesterol test results. Losing weight and low carb is beneficial to reducing triglycerides (however significant weight loss can also raise your LDL levels until you reach maintainance), but also make sure you fast for 12 hours before any cholesterol blood test and don't consume coffee during that time either. Rigorous exercise can also cause triglyceride levels to increase, so best to avoid doing that immediately before any blood test.

There are various schools of thought on which particular lipid profile results are risk factors, particularly when it comes to ratios between those results. I'm no expert, but @ianf0ster is very knowledgeable on them.
Many Many Thanks,
I never heard of plant sterols before, I'll definitely try it.
Yeah, I never thought that coffee may affect the blood test results so much! Now I learned it with my CGM. :)
Looks like exercising is the only option I have now, as I cannot consider any dietary changes to my OMAD, which is indeed is low carb and is rich in saturated fats from meat/cheese/diary.

Reactions: Paul_