Calarories, carbs and fats, your thoughts?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you eat fat in your diet, it gets bundled up into chylomicrons, which are the supertamkers in the endocrine system. These transport fats from the gut to adipose tissues such as the liver where it is stored. it is the liver that creates LDL and HDL, and it does this on an as required basis. So what the blood test is measuring is not dietary fats, but repackaged lipids in the form of trigs and fatty acids in a glycerol package. These trigs come from lipids stored in the liver, or manufactured by the liver through de novo lipogenesis.

The blood test Trigs or TG is actually the residue left over after the HDL and LDL have been accounted for, and is a measure of the crud floating in your bloodstream. Collisions between cholesterol and glucose molecules can leave lipids floating in the blood stream unprotected by glycerol, thus making them homeless and not recognisable by HDL. So these are not collected and returned to the liver for recycling and are detritus. Trig readings are therefore now being looked on as being a marker for CVD instead of LDL

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you eat fat in your diet, it gets bundled up into chylomicrons, which are the supertamkers in the endocrine system. These transport fats from the gut to adipose tissues such as the liver where it is stored. it is the liver that creates LDL and HDL, and it does this on an as required basis. So what the blood test is measuring is not dietary fats, but repackaged lipids in the form of trigs and fatty acids in a glycerol package. These trigs come from lipids stored in the liver, or manufactured by the liver through de novo lipogenesis.

The blood test Trigs or TG is actually the residue left over after the HDL and LDL have been accounted for, and is a measure of the crud floating in your bloodstream. Collisions between cholesterol and glucose molecules can leave lipids floating in the blood stream unprotected by glycerol, thus making them homeless and not recognisable by HDL. So these are not collected and returned to the liver for recycling and are detritus. Trig readings are therefore now being looked on as being a marker for CVD instead of LDL
My trigs are excellent below 0.9 mmol. I am just not happy with my LDL.

Reactions: Oldvatr

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just not happy with my LDL.

The only reason LDL(which is calculated usually not measured) is considered a problems is that the levels can be lowered using statins.

A huge industry was thus created to make LDL "bad" with little to no evidence to support it.

pre-predb

My trigs are excellent below 0.9 mmol. I am just not happy with my LDL.
I think if your trigs are as good as they are, LDL is less important. I recommend reading anything by Malcolm Kendrick (a GP and academic) or Aseem Malhotra (a Cardiologist and academic) about how, over decades, we've been missold this myth about how dangerous Colesterol, especially LDL, actually is.

Reactions: HSSS
M

Member496333

Also type 1 but as I am keen to avoid insulin resistance, weight gain and am lazy about carb counting, I tend not to subscribe to the myth (imo) that type 1s just need to do some carb/insulin maths and all will be well! For some it is but I think there are many that struggle with the calculations.

In my opinion your outlook is very sage. While type 1 is undoubtedly a very heavy cross to bear, and I consider myself fortunate not to have it, it can equally be said that if later in life you also develop insulin resistant pathology, not being able to eat anything safely no matter how much insulin you administer would be he ultimate double whammy. Being type 1 does necessarily exclude anyone from suffering the consequences of the trappings of a modern, high-carb western diet.

Ms. Lauren

Being a diabetic, you can't eat a lot of carbs. A lot of fat will eventually raise your cholesterol levels (regardless of whether its good or bad). So my question is how you take your daily calories intake? Is there a must daily calorie intake or its just an imaginary thing? I am controlling my D2 with low-carb, so need to understand this from your practical experiences. Is it okay to move to a lifestyle which has fewer calories than recommended, lets say 1000-
Everyone is different and if something works for you then it works. I don't take insulin, so i am not in a position to even understand how hard it might be to keep a balance.

Hi, I have recently found that eating low carbs/smaller portions (6 oz. portions) is helping me lose weight, however I am still somewhat sedentary at work, which doesn't help. I bought some measuring cups for home/work use, which is helping a lot.
I have no choice anymore to "eyeball" my portions - that doesn't work, plus, I cheat unless I measure my food. I am determined to get my A1C in a normal range. That may take a while...

Jak13

I’m type two and I tried low carb for a couple of weeks and my cholesterol went up to 22 from 11, also my hba1c went from 42-68 I’m now struggling to bring it down from double figures on my bm machine. I’ve obviously done something very wrong as doctor has doubled my statins and started a new tablet alongside metformin, and increased the new tablet after a month, he’s now talking about insulin!
I think I must of triggered some kind of intolerance to previously controlled levels!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes you are in those 75% lucky people :) I am an LMHR (lean mass hyper responders) and particularly saturated fats take my cholesterol to very high levels, particularly dairy liquid fats.
Why do you think it matters to have high CHD btw? It is very much unproven tht high LDL c causes heart disease yet what everyone agrees damages your arteries is having high blood sugar and insulin levels. Therefore if having less carbs means eating more fat given the amount of protein eaten is usually 15% of total calories, you are stopping damage by normalising blood glucose and insulin levels.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m type two and I tried low carb for a couple of weeks and my cholesterol went up to 22 from 11, also my hba1c went from 42-68 I’m now struggling to bring it down from double figures on my bm machine. I’ve obviously done something very wrong as doctor has doubled my statins and started a new tablet alongside metformin, and increased the new tablet after a month, he’s now talking about insulin!
I think I must of triggered some kind of intolerance to previously controlled levels!
Your post has me puzzled as low carb normally brings blood glucose down however please note that your nba1c is a measurement of what you did for 12 weeks not 2. Perhaps you'd had a bout of illness or stress or bad eating prior to the low carb experiment?
Maybe have a look at the low carb success stories that show generally people's metabolic health improves. If you are worried, you could always go for monounsaturated fat like olive oil , chicken, fish etc. to minimise saturated fat if you are particularly reactive to sat fat.
Remember that regardless of LDL levels a diet that helps you lower your blood sugars will reduce damage to your arteries and improve your ratio of HDL to triglycerides (very low density LDLthat is thought to damage your system). Insulin will work to lower your blood glucose but will take the glucose out of your blood and generally into fat storage unless you are very active and can make you even more insulin resistant.

Reactions: Jak13

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins can increase hba1c which if this is the case with you doubling the statins may cause another increase